What's new

A review of my new drivers for my 16/46PC's (1 Viewer)

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I wanted to share some of my thoughts with my improved 16/46pc's. Ron also told me if he liked my review, there might be a T-shirt for my troubles.

I ordered my original 2 16/46pc's back in November of 2000. I questioned if I really had them that long. It seems that only yesterday I got these things in my house. I never thought that I would need to upgrade my subwoofer until I started reading all of the messages about SVS. In fact, I remember watching the original thread grow to about 150 messages before I decided read it. That was a lot of information to take in. But everyone seemed so enthusiastic about their CS subs. Like I said, I was happy with the sub I had and I could not see myself spending so much money on a sub that needed to be powered. Besides I use to have a set of KLH satellite speakers with an UNPOWERED sub, and it sounded awful compared to my Mitsubishi 12" sub! After reading all about the rave reviews of the CS line, it peaked my interest. I really wanted a powered sub, especially after reading the incredible review of Robert Fowlks. I used the excuse that we were going to buy a new house, so I needed new subs. My wife actually humored me and let me order them. It took between 3 and 4 months to get my powered subs. All I could say is wow, they sure sounded different than what I was used to. I knew without a doubt after listening to these subs that I would NEVER have to upgrade my subs again. What a feeling that was, to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I had purchased something that would stay in my system for years to come. I was totally satisfied. That is almost an oxymoron, no true connoisseur of hometheater is EVER totally satisfied! The upgrade bug can be suppressed, but it never totally goes away!

Since I was now an enthusiastic owner of SVS, I convinced several of my friends to get SVS. It really wasn't hard, all I did was have them over to listen to my subs. In fact, I even loaned them to a friend while my house was being finished. One night with those babies and there was no going back for him or his wife. When I took them back, they ordered an SVS. I have been fortunate to have been able to hear the 20/39, the 25/31 and a set of Ulta's. Even after listening to the Ultra's, I was still satisfied with my 16/46's. I did not jump on the band wagon and order the "+" series. I felt no need to. I was happy with what I had.

Once again after reading RAF's review of the driver exchange, I decided that if I could upgrade my current SVS subs without re-investing all that money, it might be worth my while. It really peaked my wife's interest when SVS said that they would give a refund of $40 per driver. It seemed like a win-win situation. I spend only a little money and yet I get to upgrade something! Man, life is good! I went ahead and ordered two new drivers and once again, I got to hurry up and wait for my drivers. I was almost jealous of the newer SVS owner because I saw messages all the time saying the they got their subs in a week from ordering. Now once again I had to wait. It was alright, I was happy with the subs, and I really think SVS is a great company. After waiting for at least a month, I received my drivers from UPS about a week ago. I love new toys.

Of course I needed to leave work a little early so that I could change out my drivers, but as luck would have it, I couldn't. So they sat in their boxes for a day and then I got to play with my subs. Changing these drivers out was truly and easy task. There is such a difference in weight between the old and the improved driver. I was hoping that I could tell some sort of difference once I plugged them in. I had read many reviews that insisted that they could tell a difference but you never know until you experience it for yourself. I needed to see the difference so that I could justify to my wife the money I spent! My wife has been very accommodating. She actually likes the looks of the subs, but I know eventually I will over extend my boundaries. I did not want this to be the incident that did that.

Well, needless to say, I would not have written so much if I did not HEAR or FEEL the difference. As I mentioned earlier, I had the opportunity to listen a pair of Ulta's. Not only did my friend let me listen to them, he let me keep them at my house for a week! I had my friend over to listen to his Ultra's and there was no question, they sounded better. Not just better, but you could feel the base a little bit more. Even after giving back his sub, I really did not have the desire to buy new subs. Yes, they sounded better, but to me, not an additional $1,000 better. So, I was still happy with my subs. (Are you seeing a trend here?) After installing the new drivers, I was experiencing what the Ultra's did better. I was feeling the base more! The improved drivers produce a fuller sound. I do not know if they go any lower, but the sound is definitely fuller and more air is being moved in my family room. This is especially true at low volumes. The best I can describe it is that there is more of a presence at lower and higher volumes.

After living with my 16/46pc's for over a year now, I have come to love the sound that they produce. After installing the new drivers I have fallen in love all over again with the presence of bass in my home theater. If you are wondering if there is a difference between the old and the improved driver, let me tell you that it is a difference that you will notice it. When I say that you will notice it, I do not believe that this is a subtle change or one you need really need to listen for. It brings a presence to the sound stage that I only experienced with the Ultra's. This upgrade is definitely worth $129 per driver!!!

Thanks for reading this entire post and SVS, thank you once again for improving my Home Theater experience.

Jeff Aguilar

PS, I am eagerly awaiting my Outlaw so that I can hear even more imrovement with my subs. My Yamaha has a cut off of 100 hz. I just know (by reading all the great reviews) that it will once again make a great diffence with my set-up.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jeff, Can't wait to come over and hear your gear...thanks for the review as well. I know hearing two of these babies will want me to go buy another 25-31PCi to go with my first!
:D
E

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The driver exchange was soooo worth it. My 16-46 PC with the old driver had never bottomed out, but I've got a pretty good size room and you could tell it was straining occasionally on stuff like The Haunting. After the exchange, it handles Haunting, Toy Story 2 and Phantom Menace, all sub-killers, at reference +10dB quite effortlessly, even running the sub a little hot. I keep bracing myself for a straining sound or that dreaded clack, but it never comes. Super deep, authoritative bass, smooth as silk and creamy as butter. Man, this is a great world we live in.

Ned

Supporting Actor
rodney-

Yep, they've been putting the new driver in since December 2001.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
The only people who needed to upgrade the driver are the people who had the original PC series subs. In fact the new PCi subs have a more powerful amp attached.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks