What's new

A revamped version of "24" season 1, anyone? (1 Viewer)

t_smitts

Grip
Real Name
Todd Smitts
Compared to the subsequent seasons, the first "24" set was surprisingly bare in terms of special features, no doubt because it was rushed to shelves.

There are no the only bonus features are one of the two alternate endings in which Teri Bauer lives plus a rather pointless intro by Kiefer Sutherland to season 2. There are no episode commentaries to be found. No featurettes whatsoever on the conception or production of the show. They don't even have chapter selections on the episodes.

With the word that seasons 1-4 would be re-release in the slim packaging, I wondered if they shouldn't have taken the opportunity to add some stuff to season 1. A couple of commentaries from actors, producers or directors, maybe?

Admittedly many of the people who shelled out money for the first version might be p!ssed to have a newer, better version show up suddently, but I thought it was a good idea. It's probably too late a this point but what do you think?

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a double-dip for a TV series. Can anyone think of one?

I doubt they'll double-dip for a TV series (unlike a movie), especially for a show like 24.

I don't think it has much repeat play. Even though I enjoyed Seasons 1 & 2, I felt like I had completed a marathon by time they were over. Its like the same show over and over and over and over again. I doubt I'll ever rewatch the whole thing again. And doubt Fox can resell that many copies to people who have Season 1.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Lets hope that when they release it on HD it will contain the longer episdoes that was on the Region 2 DVD

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know there's plenty of people that think that but I don't understand it. The show has great acting (Sutherland and Haysbert especially), directing and editing and while the surprise element is gone on repeat viewings, I still enjoy those other great things in the episodes. To me, it's the same thing as knowing the ending of The Usual Suspects, Fight Club or The Sixth Sense, I can still enjoy them eventhough I know how the twists and turns of them.

EDIT: All the being said, I don't think an S1 re-release would sell particularly well (and won't happen).

Jeff#

Screenwriter
What???! Teri Bauer could never live with that boyscout haircut she had (and still has if you've seen Leslie Hope in more recent series). :laugh:

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
but also various gun battles are extended and it makes it more believible as Jack stops to re-load rather than having never ending ammunition etc! IMHO the "longer" episodes are how it should've been for everyone.
I would welcome a R1 re-issue with not only the extended episodes intact but also a new 5.1 soundtrack to bring the season in line with the rest of the releases!

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love for a re-issue. I have the R2 version, but I'd love special features.

Would like better cover art, too.

t_smitts

Grip
Real Name
Todd Smitts
Good news:

24 DVD news: Press Release for 24 - Season 1: Special Edition | TVShowsOnDVD.com

The timing couldn't be better since this will be the first year since it's inception with no new "24" on either TV or DVD (January '09??? WTF is up with that?)

Hmmm... first a release date for "Day Break" and now this? Maybe I should hold out hope for Fred Savage's old show "Working" on DVD. Plus if "The Fugitive" does well enough, maybe they'll give the Tim Daly remake a go...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The writer's strike delayed this season. They had shot 8 episodes and then the writers' strike happened but there was no way that they could make another 16 episodes in the time they had left. And due to fan whining (or feedback :)), Fox 'has' to air 24 as a whole block of episodes so they have to wait until January 2009.

t_smitts

Grip
Real Name
Todd Smitts

I know why they're doing it. It was more an expression of how much this bites ass that we have to wait so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks