What's new

A reminder concerning your dogs... (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I agree. I could never have imagined that our dog would be able to get out of the yard the way it did, that's why I have 3 tags and a chip now. :)

I think at least everyone should have a phone number tag like Ryan has. Even those who are absolutely sure their dog can never run away. If a dog runs away without wearing any ID tags of any kind, then it really is the owner's fault.

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
All my pets (two cats, one dog) have microchips. They're between their shoulder blades on my pets.

I found a stray dog in front of my house a couple of weeks ago. While it had no ID tags, it did have a county license tag. I called the animal control phone number on the tag. The computer interface on the other side asked for the tag ID (voice recognition, too!) and read to me the owner's phone number. I called and they came and got him. They lived a couple of blocks away. I thought it was a really slick system...

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Wow, thats a crazy shelter. Hell, i wouldnt even call it a "shelter"!

True, my dog NEVER goes outside without me. I do have a chip, but my worry is about him being stolen if someone ever breaks in, not my dog finding a way out of the house :)

The brat would probably sit at the door waiting for me to get home anyway :)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I think at least everyone should have a phone number tag like Ryan has. Even those who are absolutely sure their dog can never run away. If a dog runs away without wearing any ID tags of any kind, then it really is the owner's fault.
Don't be so quick to judge. I have 2 dogs that have chewed each others collars off several times. These are the nylon webbed collars that are pretty tough. The last time, one dog threw up a 3 or 4 inch long piece of collar a week later. The vet said, "yeah, dogs can keep stuff in their stomachs a long time, can't they" like it happens every day. :eek: We have a 6 foot wood fence with full height locked gate, the dogs have a dog door so they can go in and out all day and they have so many toys and nylabones you would think we had 4 year-old quadruplets the way the stuff is laying around so they have plenty to do. I just can't keep a collar on them. As I mentioned, we do have the chips but hopefully, this will never be a problem.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
To be safe you'd have to spend all your time visiting shelters rather than looking for your dog out on the street.
I live in a city (Ottawa) that really has only one shelter. Not sure how many Toronto has?

If you're dog is on the loose he won't get "lost", he'll eventually come back. Unless he gets picked up. In that case it would be off to the shelter(s) I go.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
This is copied diectly from my local Humane Society web page. I bolded the part that I would follow to a "T".

EMAIL US! You can also email us about any lost or found animals. Please be sure to include your contact information and all relevant details about the animal (where it was lost/found, breed, colour, tag, etc.).

How to find your lost dog or cat...

Dogs
Be aware that your dog could be almost anywhere. Exploring dogs have travelled as much as 20 miles in a single day. Do not limit your search to your neighbourhood only.
Cats
If you have lost your cat, search the area at night - be cautious around cars and garbage cans. Inform your neighbours and ask them not to feed your cat.

Visit the Humane Society immediately
Make fliers that include the lost date, name of pet, description and any unique markings, a picture and your phone number - a reward motivates people!
Make familiar sounds to attract your pet and walk around your neighbourhood in the morning and evening calling your pet's name
Put fliers up around your neighbourhood, shops, vet clinics and anywhere else, including your old neighbourhood if you've recently moved
Place a lost ad in the paper and check the found section
Check with the neighbours, mail carrier, newspaper and other delivery people, local vet clinics, etc.
Helpful hints

Be specific when describing your lost pet.
Examples: A large 6-year-old domestic short-haired cat, all black with white paws. Neutered and declawed. Friendly with people. Answers to the name Newton OR A 3-year-old medium size dog, 25-30lbs, black and tan, shepherd mix. Female, spayed. A little timid - answers to the name Shadow.
Be sure to attach a photo.
Help our staff at the Humane Society find your pet - visit the shelter every other day to check for new arrivals. Ask for help and don't forget to file a lost report!

Upon each visit...
Look through the stray wards
Check the bulletin board between the stray cat rooms
Look through our lost and found reports
Check the D.O.A. and "euthanized before time" records
Always sign the back of your lost report

More tips...
Update tags regularly
License and microchip your companion animal - even indoor cats
Enquire about our next microchip clinic for all companion animals

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks