A reminder concerning your dogs...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Mar 2, 2003.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

For those of you that have dogs, PLEASE make sure they have their dog tags! My brother brought home a stray female beagle last night (cute little thing) after he saw her running the streets - he was afraid she'd be struck by a car so he picked her up. Unfortunately, while she was wearing a collar, no dog tag was attached so we had no idea to whom she belonged. Although we didn't want to do it, we figured the best course of action would be to drop her off at the local animal shelter. She was a sweet-natured dog so I hate the thought of her being put to sleep. Hopefully her owners will check there. Again, please make sure your dogs have tags with your address and telephone number on it. If your dog decides to take himself for a walk and gets lost, it'll make it that much easier for the good samaritans out there to see that he gets home safely. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    My dog has a chip in his cheek, but i think thats more of recovery tool if i see or find him, not if he gets lost [​IMG]

Anyway, he never goes outside without me [​IMG]

3. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Both our dogs have chips in them as well. Most animal shelters will check for a chip first thing when they get a found animal. My guess would be that any local vet would do it as well, if not for free, for a nominal fee.

4. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

5. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Weird thing in Oklahoma City.

I found out that if you lose your dog, and the Animal Shelter gets a hold of it, and if it has proper ID, they WILL NOT call you.

You have to call them. I am like WTF is up with that?

Supposedly a friend of mine had called in 1 day before her dog was scheduled to be put to sleep, even though it has proper identification. I would be so outraged if that happened to me, considering the ID seemed to be totally useless in that situation.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Or it could belong to one of those people who don't license their pets as some sort of political statement or feel they don't need to because "he never goes outside without me." :wink:

7. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

9. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Oh, I see. The shelter is excused from this because the owner was a "lazy ass." [​IMG] She should have known that the employees at the shelter were irresponsible and shouldn't have trusted them when they said they didn't have her dog. [​IMG]

11. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

12. SteveGon

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Ryan, I highly doubt she cared that much about her pet. Being a dog owner I know that a shelter will have numerous dogs that look.... well.... like my dog.

I'm willing to bet that she spent more time with the newspaper reporter than she did looking for her dog. I can guarantee you that if you called the animal shelter in my area looking for a lost dog that they would tell you to come down and double-check for yourself. It's a funny thing but some breeds look alike.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Our dog has an address tag, license tag, microchip ref# tag and a microchip. She's very prone to escaping, unfortunately (that's how we ended up with her in the first place, found her running in the street), so I'm not taking any chances. [​IMG]

/Mike

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

You've raised some good points Ryan and I think that they should be addressed by your local animal shelter. If the pet was registered the owner should have been contacted. I've never heard of anything like this happening in my neck of the woods so I think that they must handle things a little differently.

I do know that if someone called looking for their pet that they would be told to come down and take a look just to be sure. (But I would have gone down to the shelter either way)[​IMG]

18. SteveGon

FWIW, if my dog was lost, calling the local animal shelter would be one of the first things I'd do. Believe me, if she were there, they'd be anxious to be rid of her! Spoiled little brat... [​IMG]

As with my brother, I too have picked up several loose dogs in the past and dropped them off at the shelter - better that than have them running the streets. Again, if your dog does get lost, PLEASE call and visit your local animal shelter!

19. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I'd just like to point out, sometimes things happen. Dogs can escape, they have a mind of their own. My neighbors had their's dig a tunnel under the fence. How do you know that's going to happen beforehand? I had a cocker that could scale the fence. Fortunately we tracked her down everytime and she never went to far. We kept her on a chain most of the time, but sometimes we didn't and on occasion off she'd go. Or the leash could slip out of your hand, or it might slip out the door. Or there was the time she was in the garage and a guy broke into our house and she bolted (not a good watch dog). Some of you are being condescending to people who let their dogs get loose and I think its only fair to point out its not always the owner's fault.

Even if the shelter doesn't call, if the dog is tagged the shelter should right down that info and check when inquiries are made. There's no reason to kill a dog that can be identified.

Also, how many times and how many shelters should you have to visit if your dog gets loose? A phone call should suffice. I don't know exactly how things are handled in my area, but I know there are multiple shelters. Theoritically a loose dog on my street could end up in three or four different cities within a day or be picked up by the county. If a stranger picks it up, they'll take it to the closest shelter they know of. To be safe you'd have to spend all your time visiting shelters rather than looking for your dog out on the street.

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer