A reciever to match the SBS-01 5.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alex Stittle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Alex Stittle

Alex Stittle Auditioning

Hey everyone,

Im looking for a reciever to pair with a 5.1 SBS-01 set of speakers from SVS as well as the PB12-NSD.

I know barely anything about recievers but I've heard good things about Denon so I took at look at a couple of those. The problem of course, is that I have no idea what Im looking for.

I would take a look at Onkyo equipment but here in Canada that stuff is hard to find.

Can anyone fill me in on what I should be looking for in a reciever or perhaps make some suggestions?

My budget is around $500. For a price comparison, in Canada the Denon AVR-1506 goes for $490 off their site.

Oh also, should I be waiting for the release of HDMI 1.3? I realize there is a lot heat regarding this, and that the initial recievers will be quite expensive, but I don't plan on upgrading for awhile yet and I am already waiting for 1.3 televisions.

Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. Alex Stittle

Alex Stittle Auditioning

After browsing some other posts and reading up on everything I've decided I will hold off for a year or so [​IMG] I just hope my will power will hold up for that long!

3. dynamicavs

dynamicavs Auditioning

I would look at some Harman Kardon receivers

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Personally I would wait to buy a new AVR (I'm waiting myself right now). If you have the SBS system already, I'd just buy a $100 reciever at the local electronic discount store, and use that until the AVR with the features you really want come on the market.

NOTE: AVRs with HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD will probably be limited to the flagship and $1000+ models until after Xmas 2007.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Just a note - the MSRP listed on the denon.ca site seems to be about $100.00 or more than what retailers actually charge

The 1907 I was looking at was $599.00 at the store (no sale, brand new unit)
    MSRP $770.00

The 2307ci that I bought was $799.00 - MSRP - $1010

The Denon ipod dock was $30.00 - not the MSRP - $165.00

not sure what the deal is, but if you were turned off buying a new AVR because you thought you would need to buy low - maybe you will change your mind

You should be able to pick up a 1707

Check out East Hamilton Radio and Bay Bloor Radio - both sell Denon AVR's

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Why wait? In a year something else wil just come along. There is no such thing as future proof. Get something that sounds good and enjoy...

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Yup, don't wait unless money is an issue. In which case do wait because rent, food and debt should pass before a luxury item.

However if you are waiting the next best thing, trust me you will never buy or ever be happy wishing you waited more.

Get a Pioneer. Have owner at least 3 Elite receivers and 3 Pioneer receivers and none have ever dissapointed.

Good price, good sound and plenty of inputs. Nothing more annoying than not enough inputs.