A reciever to go with Paradigm Studio speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Diesel, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

This is my first HT system that I am tring to but together and I would love some help from you guys to make it a good one [​IMG]
    I am building it one part at a time. So far all I have is a pair of Studio 20's and a Studio CC, I listen to quite a bit of music too so I think that between music and HT it would be about 50/50. Right now I need a reciever to go with my system, here is a short list of recievers that I was looking at.

Marantz SR 7300
    HK 325 and 525
    Denon 2802, 3802, 3803 or 2803 when it's released

What would be the best reciever for my needs either from these or anyother that you may think will get the job done.

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

2. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Well I have the Marantz SR7300 and can't complain...in fact I'm thinking of mating it with some Studio 100's for the mains.

Probably can't go wrong with it.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

All the units you've mentioned are great, but brace yourself because you're going to get as many recommendations as replies to your post.

Pick up two or three of them from dealers with solid return policies, haul them home and audition them. All the opinions in the world mean nothing--you have to hear them in your home and with your speakers.

Finally, the receiver you choose is perhaps the least likely to affect the final sound you get. Speakers and the topology of your listening space are the two most important factors after the peculiarities of your brain/listening apparatus. I think that the 'which receiver' question is not nearly as important as a visit to this forum would suggest. You've got a great pair of speakers, and it will be difficult to get lousy performance from them based simply on the AV receiver you choose.

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Well I have the Studio 60's with an HK 525.

I've had the HK for almost a month now, and I still get the 'WOW' effect. My previous receiver was a lower end Sony 'rated' at 100W x 5. My HK is rated at 70 x 7. I noticed a huge difference between these receivers. Night and Day. The HK's 70 watts blows away the Sony's power wise, and the sound quality is much, much better. More open, transparent, lower noise floor, warmer, you name it.

It would be nice to have the Logic 7 on 5.1 sources though. Does anybody know yet if the 7200 will have this?

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

HK + Paradigm=Sweeet sound. I have an AVR320 with a full set of Paradigm Monitors and the set up is great. Not only do I still get the 'WOW' factor and when friends comes over to watch movies , listen to music or even Xbox game night can't belive there ears ethier.

6. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Paradigm speakers aren't known for being especially fussy to drive, particularly since you're (I assume) going to run them as small and use a sub.

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I run mine with Denon and a few shops I have visitted seem to do the same. I run them with a 4800, sounds great.

8. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I have Paradigm Studio 20's for fronts also and just got an HK AVR-325 from Costco for $499.99 two weeks ago.

The HK has that unbelievable high current sound that sets it far apart from even very good receivers.

The sound is so realistic, I can't believe I'm listening to speakers at all!

All the best,

Tim

9. Dan_Diesel

Dan_Diesel Extra

Humm it seems that a lot of you are using HK with Studio speakers. I just might go out and get the HK 525 and the Denon 3803 and see which one I like better just like Angelo.M said.
    And yes MarcVH, your are right I will be using a sub, that is going to be the next item that I will be picking up. I was thinking of getting the PW 2200 or a SVS if I can find one in the same price range.
    And for my rear speakers I was thinking of getting another set of Studio 20's or Studio ADP. Or put the Studio 20's in the rear and get Studio 40's for the front. What do you guys think?
    If you guys have anymore ideas on what reciever to use or or a speaker setup it would greatly help.
    And remember the music and HT ratio that I listen to is about 50/50

Thanks again

10. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Hi Dan,

If you can do an A/B test between the Denon and the HK, with the Studio's that would be great.

As far as which speakers to get....of the possibilities you're considering, I would definitely go with the 40's up front. You will be glad you did.

And as for the ADP's vs. the 20's in the rear, I would have a tough time choosing. I think that the 20's would be better for music than the ADP's would. Is there a way for you to listen to A/B them for surrounds?

I currently have dipoles for surrounds, and I find they do an OK job on DVD-A. They sound better on some tracks than others. It depends on the mix. If it's mainly ambient sounds used to create a more enveloping sound the dipoles are fine. But on mixes with more discrete information in the rears, they are lacking.

I think you would probably be happy with either the 20's or the ADP's for rears. A lot also depends on the room and implementation to. The ADP's should be a little more forgiving in placement.

BTW, I also have the PW-2200. It's a nice sub that matches well with my 60's. Not the most powerful thing out there, but very adequate for 98% of my listening.

11. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I'd go with the HK 525 or the Pioneer Elite 45 TX. The Paradigm Studio series is a tad on the revealing bright side so the warm sound of the HK and Elite would compliment nicely.

12. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I have Paradigm Studio 40's; CC-370; and Bose AM-10's for the surrounds. Although, I'm soon going to be buying some ADP's for the rear.

I use the Pioneer 45 TX, and I love it. But, the 525 and the 3803 should be considered. There are strong feelings for all these receivers. They have some different features. Yu should investigate them thorughly and make sure your getting the right features for YOU.

I really don't think you'll go wrong with any of them.

Good Luck!

Mike

13. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

I would look at the ROTEL RSX 1065. Those Paradigms need power to make them sing.[​IMG]

14. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Jason Brent,
    You wrote:BTW, I also have the PW-2200. It's a nice sub that matches well with my 60's. Not the most powerful thing out there, but very adequate for 98% of my listening.

Are you sure you have the PW2200? Thats subs rocks my whole house! All the way from the basement to the thrid floor. I only have it set a 1/4 of the volume it is that powerfull! My window panes inside the windows vibrate with the rest of the house! This sub is so powerfull I almost took it back because it is tooooooo much the wife always screaming at me.This sub is overkill in my book! Something must be wrong with yours......

15. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Dave,

LOL, yes I'm sure it's the 2200. I'm glad you get such performance out of yours.

I do really like this sub. My biggest complaint is it doesn't play quite low enough for my likes. I would like another half to three quarters of an octave of performance. But this is really nit picking. For 98% of material I listen to it works fine.

Also, I have a lot of air to move in my present set up. The main room is about 14' wide, by around 26-27' long with 9' ceilings. Thats well over 3000 cubic feet. Plus there is a large opening into a formal dining room that is another 12x12x9. Given that much air, I think this sub does fine.

I don't hesitate to recommend this sub. I have not heard the SVS, but given the accolades they get here, I'm sure they are worthy contenders.

16. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

Dan

I can highly recommend a B&K receiver with the Studio series speakers. For music it makes a great combination with the speakers. Paradigm Studio speakers are known for their forward sound, couple this with the warm sound of B&K and you have an excellent match.

Not sure if B&K will fit your budget, but you could look around for a used B&K 305 or 307. B&K recently came out with a new version, 505 and 507. You might even be able to find a new discontinued 305 or 307 at a good price.

You will not find a better receiver for music period.