A recent ISF calibration by Gregg Loewen has left me....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Herb Kane, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Very impressed...!!!

I recently decided to get my Sharp 9000 PJ calibrated and contacted Gregg Loewen.

Gregg arrived yesterday evening and after a late night BBQ, and one of the finest PC Diet Colas (OK, so I hate diet pop) he's ever had, we got to work. After our meal, my wife whipped up a few specialty coffees with Amaretto (really, that had nothing to do with the improved PQ)... We even got to view a soon to be released 2 disc SE...

Gregg did a super job and is obviously a professional at what he does. If you're considering such a calibration in the future, I highly recommend him. It was my first time meeting him and it was a pleasure. Thank you Gregg for your time and your help...!!

Herb.

2. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

What parameters did he adjust, Herb?

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys!!

for the Sharp 9000 all the necessary controls are in the user menu. Usually you have to drop the color temp control all the way down and then bring up the red and blue global controls. On Herb's projector this got the gray scale tracking within a few hundred degrees of 6500D K.

Herb had his contrast level set too low, so by properly adjusting the contrast his PJ was given greater dynamic range. Then properly adjust the black level. Color, tint, and sharpness were done last.

I really like the Sharp 9000, the only problem is with its black levels and this is only really noticable when viewing 2.35 ratio movies as the black bars are obviously gray. However when viewing 16x9 material (we did some demoing of Space Jam - SE 16x9 enhanced) the black level problem is much less obvious. My recommendation on almost all projectors (crt / dlp / FP and RPs) is to make mattes to cover the 2.35 ratio bars as this will greatly assist with your perceived contrast levels.

For the gray scale calibration I used the Milori CF6000 spectum color radiometer and Colorfacts software.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

4. Bill Randall

Bill Randall Auditioning

I also have experienced the Loewen touch and can vouch for his work. Thanks Gregg for your dedication to your work, I had no idea my set could look that geat!

5. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Greg, have you ever worked on a Sanyo PLV-Z1, and if so, what parameters did you tweak? (And how much do you charge for LCD FP calibration, if you don't mind my asking?)