What's new

A really dumb question about a car and a lighter. (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
OK, for perhaps the dumbest question asked on these boards...

This weekend I discovered my missing cigarette lighter in my car, wedged under the seat. It's probably been there for a month or two. I can't get it out. The only way would be to take the seat out, which really isn't an option.

Is there any harm in it being there? I know the temperatures inside a car get hot. I don't want the darn thing to explode. I love to worry about things (it's genetic). Is it OK to leave it there? Will my car burst into flames? :b

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
No it will not hurt anything at all, the lighter itself is not capable of producing heat, the heat is only created when the lighter is pushed into the socket.
Your safe. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think Pamela is talking about a refillable or disposable butane lighter, not the electric light that comes with the car. :) She didn't say "Incredibly @$$#$# Dumb Question", after all. ;)
I have no idea how hot such a lighter would have to get before it became dangerous, but I know that I've left a spare lighter in my car (in Florida, in the summer) for long periods with no problems. In fact, I usually keep a spare or two in there, since I'm constantly losing them.
The only time I ever saw a butane lighter actually "explode" was when someone tried to light one that had been dropped into a hot tub. (Don't ask. :)) Apparently an air bubble filled with gas, which then lit all at once, partly melting the plastic case. Flames shot up all around the metal top of the lighter. I grabbed it and threw it out the door onto the lawn, where it went up in a small fireball. That one incident aside, I've never managed to cause a butane lighter to burst into flame, despite being notoriously careless and clumsy with such things.
If it makes you feel better, crack a window slightly and make sure you put up one of those windshield sun shades. That will hold the inside temperature of the car down, and minimize the chance of anything going wrong.
Regards,
Joe

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Oh well thats a different story, I thought she meant the built in cigarette lighter.:b

If we are talking about a bic or butane lighter then I would try to get it out of there, I suppose it could burst, but probably not.

I would put on my goggles and take my dremel to it.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it's a butane lighter. Should have added that tiny bit of info. So it probably won't spontaneously burst into flames? I always keep the windows cracked. You know, I'll probably lose sleep over this until the damn thing is out. :laugh:
I would put on my goggles and take my dremel to it.
I'm handy-dandy with HT stuff, but keep me away from power tools!

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Pamela-

To get a good nights sleep, purchase a magnetic "toolfetcher" usually a telescoping rod with a strong magnet on the end and get that bomb out from under your seat.

Do I cut the blue wire, or the red??!!!

TimDoss

Second Unit
The only time I've ever had one explode was from sitting in
the sun for too long... quite the little explosion. I've
kept one in the car for years, out of the direct sunlight,
without incident.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
To get a good nights sleep, purchase a magnetic "toolfetcher" usually a telescoping rod with a strong magnet on the end and get that bomb out from under your seat.
Sounds like a nifty tool, but it won't work in this case. The damn thing is wedged underneath the metal track and the transmission "hump" won't allow access. I guess it's time to buy a new car!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Pamela, call in the bomb squad now!
This is highly dangerous and needs to hndled by a professional.:)
If your seriously concerned, have your local mechanic remove the seat. It's only 4 bolts, and is not much work as it may seem.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pamela wasn't kidding about being handy with her HT equipment--and she sure knows her Macintosh.

Los Angeles esoterica: If anybody's car should ever spontaneously combust, I hope it's Dennis Woodruff's!

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I once set my lighter down on a table and used it as a prop to hold my lit cigarette up off the table. (yes, I know ... what a retard ... at the time it seemed okay because it was "only for a minute") Well, you guessed it, I took longer to get back than I expected and the cigarette burned down to the part being held up by the lighter. The heat caused the lighter fluid to expand and rupture through one of the sides. It was quite a show, actually, but I'm just glad I wasn't near it when it "went off". I was so jittery after seeing that happen that I had to have another :p

My advice: Get that thing out of there because upholstery is probably not flame-retardant.

TimDoss

Second Unit
Or you could get a stick and hold down the button for about 20 minutes to empty all of
the butane out of it. An empty lighter should be harmless enough.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I used to leave a Bic lighter sitting on the console of my car. One day I couldn't find it and started looking. I found the little pieces of it all over the car. It blew up. Odds are your car is not going to burn up if the lighter blows up but you never know...? It could only happen when the car is parked in the sun and closed up. Just keep your insurance paid up!;) Best wishes!

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I'd get it out if it were my car.. Why risk the odds.. If someone moves the seat up or back, it could break the lighter and spill it contents..

Use a screwdriver and access from under the seat or move the seat back and forth (carefully) in order to free it or something like that.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Yeah, either loosen the seat, or find someone mechanically handy, chances are it can be retrieved without removing the seat, if not loosening the seat enough is really no biggie.

What kind of car? Buckets or bench seat?

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Okay, I felt the lighter today, after the car had been out in the sun all day, and it didn't feel terribly warm. And it's probably been in there for months anyway. I think I'll just risk it and wait for a couple weeks, when I take the car in for the oil change. Let the professionals handle the power tools!

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Just thought I would ressurect this Pam, and everyone...

I left a cheap cricket disposable on my seat during work. It was sunny, and about 75°. The lighter was in direct sunlight for about 5 Hrs. When I went out to the car, only half of it was still on the seat. I only found about two tiny pieces of it on the floor. I'm glad the car didn't flame up. I'm taking this as a lesson. Don't forget about these things, you never know...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks