A real drainer...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan Witt, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Ryan Witt

Ryan Witt Agent

So, I bought a California Split with an unfinished sub-basement (aka HT). Anyway, the sub-basement has a drain in the middle.

I want to finish the room as and HT, but what do I do about the drain (and the fact that the floor sinks in around it)?

It wouldn't bother me (I guess) if the floor around it were flat. Do I need to worry about it? The floor does have a sump pump, should I really worry about the drain?

Right now, I'm thinking I should just carpet over top of it and work around it. What do you think?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, the drain is really there for emergencies (water heater overflows, sump pump failure, etc..)

However, I wouldn't feel comfortable covering it. Mostly because, if you were to have some sort of backup, any carpeting or flooring you have over the drain would be ruined. Besides, if you have central air or a dehumidifier, chances are their condensation hoses run to that drain (even a furnace will generate moisture and should have a hose running also). Not to mention the drain tile around your cellar walls are probably connected to it as well.

Your only hope, if you're insistant on using that space, would to possibly build some sort of level sub floor over the slab and leave channels in the studs to allow any emergency water to find its way to the drain.

3. Ryan Witt

Ryan Witt Agent

The furnace and water heater are on my basement level (a walk-out basement) in their own room with a proper drain. The sub-basement (where I'd like to put the HT) is 1/2 flight below that. Because of the way the house is laid out, the sub-basement is not any farther below ground than a typical basement in our area.

I suppose it would behoove me to live there for a while and try to gauge how often the sump pump runs. I haven't looked, but now that I think about it, there are 2 different wires coming ot of the sump hole. I'm guessing that means there are 2 pumps in there (1 main and 1 backup?). I'll have to check that out.

The house is 7 years old and the drain looks like it has never been used. I can take other steps to assure that rain water doesn't come in the sub-basement (install drain tile around the foundation, backfill prperly, etc.) But, I still fear backups.

Anybody have to deal with this before?