A Quinn Martin Production

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carabimero, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Stunt Coordinator

John Hopper
    My QM's Unreleased Holy Grails
    1. The New Breed
    2. Twelve O'Clock High
    3. Dan August

Darby67, Carabimero and Flashgear like this.
  2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Twelve O'Clock High had been looked into and apparently is locked up in some kind of rights hell, which Fox either cannot or will not deal with. The other 2 are CBS owned shows and especially with the recent transferring of Dan August for Get-TV, could be a real possibility.

Carabimero, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  3. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    Received The Mephisto Waltz in today's (Wednesday) mail. I have never seen this. On the recommendations found in this thread I ordered it and hope to view it sometime soon. I like scary movies and hope I enjoy this one.

Carabimero and Flashgear like this.
  4. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

My QM holy grail is The Manhunter.

---james

5. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    The Mephisto Waltz is a nice looking disc with a very atmospheric and moody presentation of the story. I found the storyline interesting and the presentation a little dated. I realize the movie was filmed in 1971? and it shows. This is not a bad thing, just need to temper expectations. I was never bored and found the story very easy to follow. The soundtrack is effective and helps to create the atmospheric look they were going for. All in all, a tidy little thriller that is a nice addition to my (small) collection of QM presentations.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Flashgear and Carabimero like this.
  6. 86 Apr 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I, too, would like to see The New Breed and Dan August released, along with A Man Called Sloane and Tales of the Unexpected.

Looking forward to trying Most Wanted when it comes out this year. (Still no date yet?)

7. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    The Invaders - Episode 12 - Storm

Joseph Campanella, Barbara Luna, Carlos Romero, John McLiam, Simon Scott

Always great to see Joe Campanella and the always lovely Barbara Luna. Another well told story. The story of coastal hurricanes was timely. Good use of current storm footage. Nice to see faith utilized as the reason for the priest's inaction toward the surviving invaders, even though Lisa indicted him with the word "Priest!" Another entertaining episode.

In the nightmare world in which David Vincent moves, there is seldom reason or logic. And so a hurricane that occurs out of season, that blankets a 600-mile area yet spares a single town - such a storm becomes part of that nightmare world and prompts a phone call to a meteorologist named Gantley and brings Vincent to a fishing town near the Florida Keys.

Two men - two searchers. The one searches the heaven and the Earth; the other searches in the corridors of the human conscience. The search continues.

8. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    The Invaders - Episode 13 - Panic

Robert Walker, Jr. (Charlie Evans), RG Armstrong, Lin Loring, Ford Rainey, Len Wayland, Helen Kleeb (Miss Mamie Baldwin)

A truck driver's bizarre death only added to the growing panic in a remote corner of West Virginia. Nine had died in a 48-hour period - all frozen. Six hours ago, it became the responsibility of Dr. George Grundy, United States Public Service, to bring the epidemic to an end - to find an answer to deaths which medical authorities found no answer. One man suspects the true nature of the strange and terrifying blight; that its source lies somewhere out in the vast reaches of space. That man: David Vincent.

Mr. Freeze comes to The Invaders. Robert Walker, Jr in that role is effective. Nice to see a full load of QM guests in this one. Seems that the invaders at this time are fully aware of who Vincent is. I guess they have their own version of Wanted posters and David Vincent must be their #1.

Pretty tense episode with a look at the contradictions that make up the human race exemplified by Armstrong's character wanting payment for being a "good" citizen. Another entertaining entry.

Freezing deaths apparently ended and an alien landing site exposed. Grudging victories for David Vincent. But the Invader still walks unheeded on the planet Earth. Somehow, someway, he must be stopped.

9. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

I knew a guy back in the early 80s who had the whole run taped off Armed Forces Network. He grew tired of the hobby and sold off whatever he could from his collection. No idea what became of his tapes of Manhunter but they could be out there somewhere in someone's collection. That is if they didn't pass away and their heirs didn't toss their collection in the dumpster. That happens too often.

10. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    The Invaders - Episode 14 - Moonshot

Peter Graves, Kent Smith (future regular), Joanne Linville (Romulan Commander), Richard X. Slattery, Strother Martin (Cool Hand Luke and westerns), Ross Elliott (60's regular), Anthony Eisley

The Florida Keys - two astronauts, on pass, marlin fishing. Eight days before the launching of the United States' first moon shot.
    The nation has been stunned. The first screaming newspaper stories spoke of a fishing accident and the strange, red fog. Two men, slated to walk on the face of the moon, had unaccountably perished. For David Vincent, there was an answer, terrifying in its implications. And so he came to the Florida Keys to find the radio operator who had heard the vacationing astronauts' final words.

Another great 60's cast. Good story and well played by everyone. Once again, David's reputation seems to have preceeded him. NASA security chief knows who David is and what he is about. Nice use of the invasion storyline to set up a very fast paced and exciting episode. Another convert in a very high place. David keeps fighting the fight and converting one person at a time. Must get exhausting only getting to a few people each week. I am really enjoying this series. From an adult perspective, it is still very entertaining. I am pleased to see some attempts at continuity. Seems like the showrunners learned a few things about that with The Fugitive. Just imagine what this show could be like today with more serialization to help flesh out the characters/story arcs.

In the far reaches of outer space, the Invader reorganizes his plan for the conquest of the Earth. He's been delayed - but he hasn't been beaten.

Darby67, Flashgear and Carabimero like this.