What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (3 Viewers)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My QM's Unreleased Holy Grails
  1. The New Breed
  2. Twelve O'Clock High
  3. Dan August

Twelve O'Clock High had been looked into and apparently is locked up in some kind of rights hell, which Fox either cannot or will not deal with. The other 2 are CBS owned shows and especially with the recent transferring of Dan August for Get-TV, could be a real possibility.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Received The Mephisto Waltz in today's (Wednesday) mail. I have never seen this. On the recommendations found in this thread I ordered it and hope to view it sometime soon. I like scary movies and hope I enjoy this one.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Mephisto Waltz is a nice looking disc with a very atmospheric and moody presentation of the story. I found the storyline interesting and the presentation a little dated. I realize the movie was filmed in 1971? and it shows. This is not a bad thing, just need to temper expectations. I was never bored and found the story very easy to follow. The soundtrack is effective and helps to create the atmospheric look they were going for. All in all, a tidy little thriller that is a nice addition to my (small) collection of QM presentations.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My QM's Unreleased Holy Grails
  1. The New Breed
  2. Twelve O'Clock High
  3. Dan August
I, too, would like to see The New Breed and Dan August released, along with A Man Called Sloane and Tales of the Unexpected.

Looking forward to trying Most Wanted when it comes out this year. (Still no date yet?)

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders - Episode 12 - Storm

Joseph Campanella, Barbara Luna, Carlos Romero, John McLiam, Simon Scott

Always great to see Joe Campanella and the always lovely Barbara Luna. Another well told story. The story of coastal hurricanes was timely. Good use of current storm footage. Nice to see faith utilized as the reason for the priest's inaction toward the surviving invaders, even though Lisa indicted him with the word "Priest!" Another entertaining episode.

In the nightmare world in which David Vincent moves, there is seldom reason or logic. And so a hurricane that occurs out of season, that blankets a 600-mile area yet spares a single town - such a storm becomes part of that nightmare world and prompts a phone call to a meteorologist named Gantley and brings Vincent to a fishing town near the Florida Keys.

Two men - two searchers. The one searches the heaven and the Earth; the other searches in the corridors of the human conscience. The search continues.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders - Episode 13 - Panic

Robert Walker, Jr. (Charlie Evans), RG Armstrong, Lin Loring, Ford Rainey, Len Wayland, Helen Kleeb (Miss Mamie Baldwin)

A truck driver's bizarre death only added to the growing panic in a remote corner of West Virginia. Nine had died in a 48-hour period - all frozen. Six hours ago, it became the responsibility of Dr. George Grundy, United States Public Service, to bring the epidemic to an end - to find an answer to deaths which medical authorities found no answer. One man suspects the true nature of the strange and terrifying blight; that its source lies somewhere out in the vast reaches of space. That man: David Vincent.

Mr. Freeze comes to The Invaders. Robert Walker, Jr in that role is effective. Nice to see a full load of QM guests in this one. Seems that the invaders at this time are fully aware of who Vincent is. I guess they have their own version of Wanted posters and David Vincent must be their #1.

Pretty tense episode with a look at the contradictions that make up the human race exemplified by Armstrong's character wanting payment for being a "good" citizen. Another entertaining entry.

Freezing deaths apparently ended and an alien landing site exposed. Grudging victories for David Vincent. But the Invader still walks unheeded on the planet Earth. Somehow, someway, he must be stopped.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My QM holy grail is The Manhunter.

---james

I knew a guy back in the early 80s who had the whole run taped off Armed Forces Network. He grew tired of the hobby and sold off whatever he could from his collection. No idea what became of his tapes of Manhunter but they could be out there somewhere in someone's collection. That is if they didn't pass away and their heirs didn't toss their collection in the dumpster. That happens too often.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders - Episode 14 - Moonshot

Peter Graves, Kent Smith (future regular), Joanne Linville (Romulan Commander), Richard X. Slattery, Strother Martin (Cool Hand Luke and westerns), Ross Elliott (60's regular), Anthony Eisley

The Florida Keys - two astronauts, on pass, marlin fishing. Eight days before the launching of the United States' first moon shot.
The nation has been stunned. The first screaming newspaper stories spoke of a fishing accident and the strange, red fog. Two men, slated to walk on the face of the moon, had unaccountably perished. For David Vincent, there was an answer, terrifying in its implications. And so he came to the Florida Keys to find the radio operator who had heard the vacationing astronauts' final words.

Another great 60's cast. Good story and well played by everyone. Once again, David's reputation seems to have preceeded him. NASA security chief knows who David is and what he is about. Nice use of the invasion storyline to set up a very fast paced and exciting episode. Another convert in a very high place. David keeps fighting the fight and converting one person at a time. Must get exhausting only getting to a few people each week. I am really enjoying this series. From an adult perspective, it is still very entertaining. I am pleased to see some attempts at continuity. Seems like the showrunners learned a few things about that with The Fugitive. Just imagine what this show could be like today with more serialization to help flesh out the characters/story arcs.

In the far reaches of outer space, the Invader reorganizes his plan for the conquest of the Earth. He's been delayed - but he hasn't been beaten.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My first experience with a Quinn Martin show would have been a vague acknowledgement of THE UNTOUCHABLES. As a kid around 8-10 years old, I remember noticing the interesting formatting of the show. I liked watching the opening with Walter Winchell's narration but I wasn't really interested at all in the show itself. Still, the formatics impressed me.

I didn't start watching THE FUGITIVE until Season Three, but it was a favorite of my parents and older sisters, so I gradually warmed up to it, and again I noticed the formatics - the story setup, the Act breaks, epilogs, etc. And the stories were always top-notch with great guest stars. After the series went to color, the daytime reruns on ABC filled me in on the rest of the early episodes.

I think i next became aware of THE FBI. Again it was often watched in our household, but it took me awhile to get acclimated to it and become a regular viewer.

12 O'CLOCK HIGH went under the radar for me until it ultimately became a Friday night staple. I remember its switch to color, so I must have been watching at least part of Season Two.

THE INVADERS premiered to a lot of fanfare and I was there from day one all the way to the end.

STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO was one I came to a bit later in its run, but I remember enjoying the Quinn Martin formatics and jazzy theme song.

We always watched CANNON and then later BARNABY JONES. The great thing about all of these series was the constant flow of top-name guest stars, and even the under-the-radar character actors got their due on these series, putting names to the familiar faces. Even to this day, as I sit watching an unfamiliar BARNABY JONES, I'm always surprised at "The guest stars in tonight's story..." and it's always a pleasant surprise.

I remember watching CARIBE when it aired. Something in my brain tells me that it was maybe a second-season show that had a limited run through the spring and was then renewed for the fall. I recall that Stacy Keach had some kind of accident to his face over the summer and when the show returned he was sporting a mustache to help cover it up. Is any of that correct?

In my video library, the first - and supreme - QM production is THE FUGITIVE. I was there through the music debacle and still have my half-season sets including the one with total replacement. I also have the Most Wanted set. To whoever asked, that set has the best shelf option with four seasons each in their own case, rather than eight half-seasons or the odd Complete Series allotment of the black & white seasons in one fat case and the color one off by itself in another.

I also have both of THE INVADERS individual season sets, and I've compiled my own 12 O'CLOCK HIGH set from broadcasts on MeTV, back before they were messing with aspect ratios. They're time-sped, but I think they're all complete.

I've wanted to get THE FBI, but am unwilling to spend what I consider outrageous pricing for their MOD program. I spent fortunes on old TWILIGHT ZONE videotapes that are now in dumpsters and I'm not going there again. Someday, I figure, once WB gets them all remastered and available, they'll put out a more reasonable full series set. If I'm still occupying my spot on this planet, I'll maybe bite.

I just got BARNABY JONES full series a few months ago and am steadily working through them, nearing the end of Season Two. I wish they were complete episodes, but as has been repeated often, this is better than nothing.

I'm not all that eager for CANNON, but may someday bite on THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO if the opportunity affords itself and the price is right.

Thanks for opening this thread - it's a fun read.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Coincidental Quinn Martin actor pairings could be another reason to post in this thread. With so many actors rotating through the many parts of the many series episodes, it's bound to happen that two actors share screen time in more than one episode. I know of a couple. The first I've mentioned before in several other threads:

Anne Francis and Charles Drake appeared in THE FUGITIVE's "The One That Got Away" and also THE INVADERS' "The Saucer". These two are notable for the fact that they are playing a married couple fleeing from the law after committing a crime.

Laurence Naismith and Lawrence Montaine were paired in two different episodes of THE INVADERS, the second episode, "The Experiment", and from Season Two's "The Ransom".

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Anne Francis and Charles Drake appeared in THE FUGITIVE's "The One That Got Away" and also THE INVADERS' "The Saucer". These two are notable for the fact that they are playing a married couple fleeing from the law after committing a crime.

Pat Hingle and Nan Martin played Horace and Laura Ford in THE TWILIGHT ZONE's "The Incredible World Of Horace Ford" and also Mike and Paula Decker in THE FUGITIVE's "Search In A Windy City."

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Harry Townes and Jon Lormer appeared in THE FUGITIVE's "Tug Of War" also appeared in THE INVADERS' "Valley Of The Shadow". They get a special award for also being in STAR TREK's "Return Of The Archons."

...and also in IRONSIDE's "Gentle Oaks" and RAWHIDE's "The Lost Herd." I enjoy spotting these great old character actors.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I have finally finished the first season of The Invaders by finishing up the final two episodes on disc 5.

Episode 15 - Wall of Crystal

Linden Chiles, Julie Sommars (Governor & J.J., Matlock), Ed Asner (Mary Tyler Moore, Lou Grant, Up), Burgess Meredith (Batman, Twilight Zone)

An accident on a deserted highway. A honeymoon couple that dies by suffocation - in the open air. A chemical truck traced to a company that doesn't exist. Strange circumstances for which David Vincent can find one answer: somehow, someway, alien beings from another world must be involved.

Great story and a great cast. Call it my current television sensibilities, but I really wish they had been able to capitalize on a more serial type nature. Every episode, David gets more people convinced, sometimes even very highly placed and influential people, but they never capitalize on it. Each individual episode is very strong and could be the catalyst to bring people and continuity to the series. It is frustrating to watch these episodes and see these threads developed and then in the next one, it seems he is back at square one. I digress. This episode is very good. The acting is top notch all around and the story is a strong one. The family angle is utilized well and the revelations between the brothers was well played and believable. A fine penultimate episode.

One man, fighting a secret war against a hidden enemy. Someday, when that enemy is defeated, David Vincent will no longer be alone - someday.

Episode 16 - The Condemned - Season Finale

Ralph Bellamy (Defenders pilot, Trading Places), Murray Hamilton (Jaws), Marlyn Mason (Longstreet)

A little girls' story of a truck that melted and disappeared eventually reached the newspapers and the eyes of David Vincent. Aware that such things can happen in the nightmare world of the Invaders, David Vincent has come here to Sands Point, Oregon. And now the nightmare enlarges as the girl describes a man seen running from the ill-fated truck, a man she had recognized as Morgan Tate, head of a nearby communications laboratory.

Ralph Bellamy as an action figure, throwing punches. Nice to see him in this. Always a joy when I can spot my favorite shark city mayor guest starring. Good use of "the folder' in this one. Plot seemed big enough to be the season finale, governments at stake due to the list of the 11 top aliens worldwide. high stakes and personal drama with the rift between the father and his daughter. Great use of effects in showcasing the aliens different tolerances to electricity (would kill humans but apparently not aliens) and the staggering kill of Hamilton's character (Dunn).

Carol Tate had lost her father to a nameless enemy. But the enemy had also suffered a grave blow. They lost Command Roster One. In the days that follow, eleven key aliens had either resigned, disappeared, or died in a tragic accident - their bodies never to be recovered. The Invaders' timetable for conquest had received a major setback.

I'm sure that many people were excited that this one was coming back. I'll be starting season 2 soon.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I think they intentionally kept The Invaders to a stand alone episodes format in the first season and the first part of season two so that the episodes mostly could go in any order - TV stations sometimes 'jumbled' up the order of episodes - even between differing seasons - back then so by making the episodes stand alone tales the series could just go in pretty much any order of episodes after the first couple and still work...

tho' if you look at them there are quite alot of unanswered questions about David Vincent that repeatedly feature over the episodes

- he suddenly 'has a (unseen) buddy in the C.I.A.' in 'The Experiment',

Lin McCarthy's security agent is 'shadowing' Vincent and cannot leave the desert township while Vincent remains there searching...in 'The Mutant' (why ?),

Arthur Hill's millionaire industrialist firmly believes Vincent from the start in 'The Leeches'

clearly USAF Intelligence Capt Ross (Dabney Coleman) believes Vincent isn't a crank - having gunned down an alien himself and seen it incinerate - and immediately follows Vincent's advice to re-check on Robert Doyle's Sgt phoning security after ordering Vincent out of his office apparently dismissing him as just a crank - in 'The Innocent'

William Windom's U.S. Army Intelligence Major sends for Vincent in 'Doomsday Minus One'

Peter Graves FSA (NASA really) security guy is 'expecting' Vincent to arrive and treats him not as a 'crank' tipping him off re Strother Martin's beechcomber witness guy in 'Moonshot'

- why do all the Aliens suddenly 'do a runner' post Vincent's involvement in 'Vikor'...?
(after Alfred Ryder and co clearly believe and fall for Vincent's ploy of 'working with Vikor for the Earth authorities' in order to expose Vikor to the aliens...IF the aliens felt Vincent was being dismissed as nothing but just a 'crank' or attention seeker by the Earth authorities would Vincent's ploy against Vikor work as it does ?)

and the narrator advises that eleven of the Aliens key personnel in vital positions then resign, or die, or mysteriously vanish in the days that followed after Vincent gets away with the list of names in 'The Condemned'....again why ?

season two episodes also have this recurring unanswered but almost always there aspect - notably in 'Condition: Red' where Vincent is not only expected at NORAD's Cheynne mountain complex...the Security Guard even has his photo (his boss again is expecting Vincent) - and the Guard on checking with his boss then lets him in...!

these curious never explained or alluded to but recurring aspects re David Vincent makes the show all the more compelling

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks