What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Earlier in the thread there was discussion about the later seasons of the F.B.I. having the violence toned down, no killing. Did this edict apply to other QM shows? Watching the 5th seasons of Cannon and Barnaby Jones, as well as Most Wanted, there seems to be no shortage of shootings/deaths/etc.
Good observation, Alan! I believe you are correct, as in my own perception of things, the toning down of violence and gunplay seems to have been (mostly) short-lived by the networks, as the phoney-baloneys of Hollywood expressed their usual herd-instinct PC response to the "assassination year" of 1968. And then compounding the offense by bringing along the (to me) excruciating "Relevance TV" interlude of about 1970-71, maybe 1972 at the latest. By which time I think the anti-violence edict on television had pretty much run it's course too. I think that the shows that took the deepest "relevance" dive were also the ones that cut back on onscreen violence the most.

Of course, and nonsensingly, theatrical films of that era were ramping up ever-more graphic violence onscreen! So, none of it made any sense at all, much like the same phony push given today's PC motivated sensibilities found in our current so-called entertainment.

As far as QM shows are concerned, there is a very noticeable decrease in onscreen violence and gunplay in The F.B.I.'s seasons' five (1969-70) and season six (1970-71). Of course, with that show they also had Hoover's heavy hand to deal with, and the ridiculous bugaboo with the 'Italian Anti-Defamation League' (hilariously run by the real Mafia) over Italian surnames for Mafia/La Cosa Nostra characters! As to violence, other production companies followed suit, as with Gunsmoke season 14 and 15, although it's definitely not followed to the letter, as episodes in all of the action oriented series of the day would irregularly feature some onscreen violence and gunplay. It ended because it hindered the action oriented shows too much. I think some shows like Mannix, Ironside, Hawaii 5-0 and Adam-12 hardly give any evidence as to a change in style to address the anti-violence edict. Some others may differ with my assessment.

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The late-70s era of HAWAII FIVE-O seasons (10/11/12) seemed to tone down the violence some compared to the early and mid-seasons, where it was quite pronounced in many episodes, particularly season 4.

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
A highly recommended episode of The F.B.I. near the end of Season 5. Ann Francis and Zohra Lampert really shine in "Deadfall," and everyone involved seems to be at their best. A true 5-star episode, for me anyway, and one of the reasons I keep coming back to this series for comforting, and occasionally profound, entertainment :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
A highly recommended episode of The F.B.I. near the end of Season 5. Ann Francis and Zohra Lampert really shine in "Deadfall," and everyone involved seems to be at their best. A true 5-star episode, for me anyway, and one of the reasons I keep coming back to this series for comforting, and occasionally profound, entertainment :)
Thanks for the episode suggestion, I will watch it later tonight and see what I think.

I have the entire run of The FBI, DVD's from Warner Archive. All 9 seasons are DVD-R discs.

This isn't a Quinn Martin show, but I also have the complete run of Medical Center from Warner Archive, those DVD's are a mix of pressed discs and DVD-R's. Seasons 1, 3, and 5 are DVD-R's and seasons 2, 4, 6, and 7 are pressed discs.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Ron, I always like to see the beautiful Anne Francis in just about anything (big fan of Honey West), and Zohra Lampert was just an extraordinary and exotic looking beauty herself...I really took notice of her in a season one (1961-62) The Defenders episode, The Prowler, from which I took these screen caps from the Shout Factory DVD set ...Zohra Lampert is also in another episode on this same disc, Gideon's Follies...both Anne Francis and Zohra Lampert were very good actresses...Zohra with E,G. Marshall and Frank Overton in The Prowler...
Defenders The Prowler 1.JPG

Defenders The Prowler 13.JPG

Defenders The Prowler 10.JPG

Defenders The Prowler 3.JPG

Defenders The Prowler 6.JPG

Defenders The Prowler 2.JPG

DVD captures of Anne Francis (with Nancy Kovack and Kevin McCarthy) from Honey West, The Gray Lady...
A fare 79.JPG

A fare 74.JPG

A fare 76.JPG

Thanks for the episode suggestion, I will watch it later tonight and see what I think.

I have the entire run of The FBI, DVD's from Warner Archive. All 9 seasons are DVD-R discs.

This isn't a Quinn Martin show, but I also have the complete run of Medical Center from Warner Archive, those DVD's are a mix of pressed discs and DVD-R's. Seasons 1, 3, and 5 are DVD-R's and seasons 2, 4, 6, and 7 are pressed discs.
Lee, partly because of your enthusiastic recommendation that I continue to collect The F.B.I. beyond season six (where I intended to stop), I now have all seasons up to season 8, and will soon pick up the final season 9...I've just discovered so many terrific, crackerjack action episodes full of eye-popping stunts and with the usual QM lineup of amazing, big name guest stars! I of course watched the show first run, but have discovered it to be a show that endures as great entertainment, sometimes amazing in it's execution...in revisiting season 3 of The F.B.I., I was enthralled by so many great episodes in a row...episode nine, Line of Fire (Nov. 26, 1967), with Henry Silva, Lynda Day George and Jan Shepard, followed by Blueprint for Betrayal with Alf Kjellin and Antoinette Bower...followed by False Witness with Carol Lynley, Peter Duel and Victor French...followed by The Legend of John Rim with Katharine Justice, Wayne Rogers, Tom Skerritt and Ford Rainey, filmed in the picturesque resort town of Julian, California...bang, bang, bang, bang, just one great episode after another!

Some assorted captures I've taken from The F.B.I. DVDs...
FBI 116.JPG

FBI 10.JPG

FBI 63.JPG

FBI 17.JPG

FBI 61.JPG

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That's great to know Randall if you are on board for all 9 seasons of The FBI, collecting the full run of the series is definitely worth the investment.

After you get season 9, check out the episode titled "Ransom", it's a good episode and it stars Anne Francis and Jo Ann Harris, Jo Ann is extremely good looking in the episode.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
That's great to know Randall if you are on board for all 9 seasons of The FBI, collecting the full run of the series is definitely worth the investment.

After you get season 9, check out the episode titled "Ransom", it's a good episode and it stars Anne Francis and Jo Ann Harris, Jo Ann is extremely good looking in the episode.
Jo Ann Harris was extremely good looking in everything she ever did. Along with Colleen Camp, who did more movies than TV, they were the my two favorite TV beauties of the 70s.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Jo Ann Harris was extremely good looking in everything she ever did. Along with Colleen Camp, who did more movies than TV, they were the my two favorite TV beauties of the 70s.
Jo Ann Harris was most definitely a major babe back in the day. For a time, she supposedly had a thing going with Clint Eastwood and the two of them were getting it on together, lucky Clint. LOL.

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
"The Innocents" now stands among my favorite Season 6 episodes of The F.B.I., with Lois Nettleton giving a heartwrenching performance as one of the kidnappers. At its best, when the writing, acting, editing, and photography all come together, this show seems able to evoke genuine feeling for not only the victims, but also the perpetrators, whose emotional baggage often leads to their downfall and capture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks