What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Fair enough, but considering the SoSF ep was aired in 1975, and the EiE ep in 1977, it is probably safe to say the SoSF ep was shot first. I don't think the EiE ep spent two years on the shelf after being made.
IIRC, He didn't appear in the series because he had been offered the "Star Wars" part after the pilot, so my guess is the Eight Is Enough pilot was the last shot and aired before "Star Wars."

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Alfred Ryder was also on The Wild Wild West's "The Night of the Deadly Bubble." He even got his face on one of the animated bumpers.

Henry Jones played Mr. Pem on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea's "A Time to Die" and the final episode "No Way Back."

Ryder was excellent in one episodic part (“The Hunter”) of Combat! and
one episodic part (“False Face”) of ’Way Out.

He appeared twice on The Wild Wild West:​
“The Night of the Torture Chamber”​
“The Night of the Deadly Bubble”​
He appeared thrice on Mission: Impossible:​
“The Diplomat”​
“The Controllers”​
“The Party”​

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
The Eight is Enough pilot was shot in the spring of 1976. ABC didn’t pick it up for the fall of 1976 but retained its option on the show and on the actors. After the EIE pilot was shot, Mark Hamill went off to do Star Wars. ABC finally picked up the EIE pilot in late fall, to start shooting in January, 1977 and to air in March.

ABC denied Mark Hamill’s request to be released from the show. A week before shooting was to begin, he had a car accident where his face was badly injured. So his part had to be recast.

If you watch the pilot and then the second episode, it’s really noticeable that significant time elapsed between shooting those episodes.

(yes, I know too much about this)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
That was a huge help when seeing Nehemiah Persoff on any QM show!
Remarkably, the great Nehemiah Persoff is still with us at age 101...among so many memorable things in his lengthy career, he is the last surviving star from the cast of Billy Wilder's immortal 1959 comedy Some Like it Hot...although we are blessed to have so much of his great work on disc, including his work for QM (Untouchables, Streets of San Francisco), one of Persoff's absolute best other guest performances remains unreleased so far...his memorable appearance as a cast-aside math teacher fearing for his job and being displaced by the introduction of Martin Landau's "teaching machines", a sort of embryonic desk-top computer in Mr. Novak season two's (1964-65) Enter a Strange Animal...a terrific and eerily prescient episode of that great series...I have a good alternative copy of that, but Nehemiah Persoff was also integral to one of my most wanted feature films thus far missing on DVD or Blu (I don't think it ever got a VHS either), 1971's Red Sky at Morning...

Nehemiah Persoff with Humphrey Bogart in The Harder They Fall (1956, and Bogie's last film)...
1611170094000.png

1611170239068.png

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

Ryder was excellent in one episodic part (“The Hunter”) of Combat! and
one episodic part (“False Face”) of ’Way Out.

He appeared twice on The Wild Wild West:​
“The Night of the Torture Chamber”​
“The Night of the Deadly Bubble”​
He appeared thrice on Mission: Impossible:​
“The Diplomat”​
“The Controllers”​
“The Party”​

–––––––––––––––––––––––––
Picture of actor Alfred Ryder in “The Hunter”.

hunter.png

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'll bet this was a pretty lame game to play, but you can't beat that beautiful painting done for the box! 1965...I hope Robert Lansing got some decent royalties for the usage of his likeness...reminds me of the great box art done for Revell's plastic model kit of the B-17, Picadilly Lilly from the show, (just one of a range of 12 O'clock High licensed kits, including the Me-109)...a reissue of the same kit originally presented as Memphis Belle...
1611771369748.png

Last edited:

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Wow, they had two separate covers!

There should be a thread about TV series board games.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Highly recommended Streets of San Francisco episode:
Season 2, "Before I Die" with Guest Stars Leslie Nielsen, Joanne Linville, Ray Danton, and Special Guest Star James Wainwright. I love it when the episodes just get everything right, including the epilog.

In my opinion, many Streets outings had the perfect mix-- this one of course, but also such gems as "Deathwatch," "The Albatross," "License to Kill," "Poisoned Snow," "Dead Air" and "Police Buff," just to name some.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
F.B.I. question: With the current prices, it's unlikely I'll be picking up the entire series. Are there any specific seasons regarded as being high points?
Alan, they certainly have become pricey over the last few years. Season one is now ridiculously priced from third parties. And these sets almost never turned up used. Other QM series on DVD from other labels are all very affordable in comparison.

I have seasons one to seven of The FBI, and intend on buying seasons eight and nine to complete my run. I've been collecting the Warner Archive sets for over 10 years, including all of their B+W Westerns, and I'd hate to know how much I've spent on them all.

It's entirely subjective as to what you might like in the way of plot lines, action and guest stars, and I hesitate to offer advice on that basis...plotlines came in basically three varieties...Mafia/La Cosa Nostra (with nary an Italian surname in evidence!), other crimes like bank robbery, extortion and kidnapping, and espionage...

I've discovered a lot of great and memorable episodes in seasons two and three...but you really can't go wrong with any of seasons' two to seven. For just one single season, I think that season three is my favorite.

As to guest stars, it might be a good idea to browse the episode guide on IMDB and other sites. The first 5 seasons were all released in split-season volumes. The first season was 32 episodes on 8 discs, over the next few seasons, they produced 28 or 27 episodes allowing for 7 discs to cover those seasons. Starting with season six, they were released in single volume season sets, usually with 26 episodes on 6 discs. Some people make a big deal about pressed versus burned discs, but my WAC collection is a mix of both, and the only blip I've ever had with an Archive disc was a pressed one. You've probably seen some of my screencaps on HTF, as I've featured a number of episodes in my posts over the years...
FBI 92.JPG

FBI 93.JPG
FBI 88.JPG
FBI 77.JPG
FBI 61.JPG
FBI 54.JPG
FBI 75.JPG
FBI 84.JPG
FBI 41.JPG

FBI 22.JPG

FBI 8.JPG

FBI 21.JPG

Last edited:

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
F.B.I. question: With the current prices, it's unlikely I'll be picking up the entire series. Are there any specific seasons regarded as being high points?

I purchased the complete series, all nine seasons and each season has it's share of top/memorable episodes so it's difficult to single out any specific season over another. In the first season when the series starts off, Inspector Erskine has a daughter, played by actress Lynn Loring, but she isn't given much to do in the episodes and after about the 10th episode she isn't seen anymore so her time in the series was brief. One episode that's become a big favorite of mine is "The Hitchhiker" from season six. Actor Michael Douglas plays a criminal in this episode, he's a bank robber on the run from the law. A good script and a fine supporting cast of actors helps to make this episode a winner, highly recommended viewing.

A sad side note to "The Hitchhiker" episode, actress Jenny Hecht appears in this episode, she plays the role of a transient girl and about 10 minutes into the episode she has a few spoken lines as she speaks with Inspector Erskine. About a month after this episode originally aired, Jenny Hecht passed away from a drug overdose at age 27. So Jenny Hecht is among the "27 club" list of celebrities who passed away at that far too young age.

Last edited:

Purple Wig

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan
Thank you Randall and Lee! I'll probably start with season 2 or 3, unless I happen to come across a bargain on one of the other years. For aesthetic reasons I usually prefer the 60's anyway.

Great screencaps Randall! Wayne Rogers and Norman Fell probably look the snazziest out of the lot.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
Thank you Randall and Lee! I'll probably start with season 2 or 3, unless I happen to come across a bargain on one of the other years. For aesthetic reasons I usually prefer the 60's anyway.

Great screencaps Randall! Wayne Rogers and Norman Fell probably look the snazziest out of the lot.
Consider getting season six if you want to see "The Hitchhiker" episode. It's interesting to see a young Michael Douglas playing the role of a criminal, and his acting is quite convincing. Very good episode. Another good episode from season six is the season opener, titled "The Condemned", starring a young Martin Sheen.

An episode from season nine, titled "Ransom" has a similar story line from an earlier episode in the series, but I like the "Ransom" episode, it's a good one. Jo Ann Harris is one of the stars in this episode and she is extremely good looking.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Looks somewhat similar to the ad for Jim Rockford on The Rockford Files!
Except that Rockford included his picture, which doesn't seem too bright for a private investigator. Maybe that's why so many cops and crooks seem to know who he is.

Attachments

• !AD-yellow.jpg
    !AD-yellow.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInSeattle