1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Quinn Martin Production

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carabimero, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Because the moron HD crowd, which watches on their 90 inch TVs, anything that isn't a perfect modern remaster, they don't like. To me it looks fine too, but then again, I lived through shows in syndication in the 70s and early 80s that aired on 16mm from prints which were red as a beet.

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Those folks are kin to the "I won't buy anything on DVD! It's BR or nothing for me!" crowd.

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

DVD is my last format. After 3/4, EAIJ, Beta, VHS, Super Beta, Super VHS, no more formats!

4. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    This type of habitual complaining will continue on until hell freezes over.

I'm sure when holodecks become commonplace, people will still be complaining about Perry Mason and Star Wars looking like 2D crap (ie. not holodeck quality).

;)

Detour (1945) and BobO'Link like this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Mine is BR. In spite of that I have no problem purchasing something on DVD if that's the way it's offered or if the DVD is much less expensive. Most of my BR purchases are visible upgrades or for product where I totally missed the DVD. Anything else is simply because the BR is less expensive (new or used). FWIW, other than ST:TOS I purchased nothing on a tape format - just blank tapes to time shift and record the occasional favorite movie/series. By the time DVD came along I had about 100 tapes full of stuff I wanted to keep. I had almost that many DVDs before I purchased a player I could connect to my TV (it was viewing on the computer prior to that - I had a 19" CRT on the PC).

Detour (1945) and Jeff Flugel like this.
  6. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I was still using VHS until about 2009/2010 or so, until my machine died. (I never got around to purchasing a dvd recorder back in the day. They largely disappeared from local retailer shelves by then).

By then, I changed the cable service which provided an actual digital dvr box. I didn't see any point in hunting down an older discontinued dvd recorder model, and setting up all the weird wiring setup to get it to work with the previous digital cable box. (It turns out the old digital box models were bricked deliberately shortly thereafter by the cable provider, where they eventually moved everybody to the digital dvr boxes).

7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    @BobO'Link

(On an offtopic tangent).

What computer dvd-rom drive did you have to play those first 100 dvd purchases on the computer?

(IIRC , the dvd-rom drives were several hundred $$$ back in 1998->1999).

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Don't remember the specific brand. I built a gaming system and made sure it had a DVD drive as I anticipated games coming out on DVD instead of several CDs. It was a DVD/CD-R drive (wouldn't burn DVDs - just play them). It was a "top of the line" system at the time - set me back ~$2000 (including the 19" CRT).

9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I have quite a few Blus (generally of films), with most of mine being DVDs, so I'm not one of those people.

10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    For me, bluray has largely been an afterthought relegated to dump bin purchases.

If I see the bluray version of a film/show where I already have the dvd version, I might pick up the bluray version as an impulse buy from the local $5 (or less) dump bins.

11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (Going offtopic).

I thought something like this might happen. Though in the end, I only ever purchased one pc video game which was released on a dvd disc (Grant Theft Auto: San Andreas).

By that time circa mid-2000s, some pc game discs were starting to go the route of just having a "install/download" program on the cdrom disc.

12. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr