What's new

A Quiet Place (2018) (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
A little late to the rodeo, but finally saw it yesterday, only people in the small Regal theater. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the audio effects bouncing off the walls and ceiling was great!.

This theater has Atmos which heightened the audio experience. All I could think about was how they are going to mix it for home theaters and what it will sound like on my sound system.

Can't wait to own it!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I also saw it yesterday. As a precaution, I avoided reviews/articles (I did have a pretty good idea of the basic storyline, though). Loved the premise. It's hard to do something "different" in the horror genre.

I found it to be enjoyable, although the "telegraphing" of events was sometimes a bit obvious. Yes, a few plot holes but nothing I couldn't get past. Regarding how substantial the "infestation" of aliens was, it seemed like the news articles were from many different sources which made me think it was widespread.

One very surprising sidenote: during a movie where talking would have been very obvious, the audience was dead quiet!

Sandro

Second Unit
One very surprising sidenote: during a movie where talking would have been very obvious, the audience was dead quiet!

I had the exact same experience when I went to see this. This made me think that this was maybe NOT a movie that you had to see in the theaters despite what a lot of people were saying. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We watched it last night, and all loved it. Well done and, for the most part, very original. The movie deserves the accolades that have been heaped upon it. The performances sold the entire premise IMO.

The 4K UHD presentation was very nice, and while I don't have an ATMOS setup the sound and the sound design was quite amazing.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I also watched this few days ago. It's a nice movie but it has some major plot holes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Question about what people consider to be spoilers:

Would it be a spoiler to discuss
the death of the youngest child?

On one hand, this happens very early in the movie, and I tend to think if something occurs before you've made a dent in your popcorn, it's not "spoiler territory".

On the other hand, it's a pretty major event and one that isn't an inevitable part of the story. It's not like saying "Martians invade" in "War of the Worlds".

Still, I lean toward it not counting as a spoiler, mainly because so much of the movie occurs after the event.

Thoughts about whether this event should be "spoilerized"?
Of course it’s a spoiler, it’s a huge event that has repercussions throughout the film. I can’t conceive of this not being considered a spoiler.

Well, as I noted when I first posted, I think a good argument can be made that something that happens so early in the movie isn't a true "spoiler".

This one is on the edge - it's not like giving away the ending but it's still a (theoretically) unexpected event that just happens to occur early in the film...
For me it’s not on the edge, this is a spoiler, big time.

I just watched this movie on Amazon Prime for the first time. For a few minutes, I was wondering whether i could watch a movie where there is nearly no spoken dialogue. Then at some point, not sure when, I wasn’t thinking that any more. This is one of the great sci/fi movies, IMHO. I cared very much about the characters and found this movie to be a rewarding white-knuckle experience.

The movies where I don’t care about the characters, that’s where I’ll start nit-picking, but not this movie.

Colin, you are entitled to your opinions, but I am glad I’m not so driven to pick apart movies for flaws. But you know, now that I think of it, you just can’t sew body parts together, give them a jolt, and expect life. Those parts have shelf lifes you know.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Colin, you are entitled to your opinions, but I am glad I’m not so driven to pick apart movies for flaws.

Yes, I'm driven to do that. When I went to see "Quiet Place", I didn't go with the hopes that it'd be exciting and involving - no, I went just to tear it down!

Gimme a freakin' break! :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, I'm driven to do that. When I went to see "Quiet Place", I didn't go with the hopes that it'd be exciting and involving - no, I went just to tear it down!

Gimme a freakin' break! :rolleyes:
Did you see how many items you didn’t like in your first post in the thread. Jeez, I’ve never come up with that many for movies that I hated. And then there’s other threads where you are constantly finding the faults in movies.

Sorry, but as the old saying goes, “If it walks, talks, and quacks like a movie nit-picker, it’s a movie nit-picker.”

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Did you see how many items you didn’t like in your first post in the thread. Jeez, I’ve never come up with that many for movies that I hated. And then there’s other threads where you are constantly finding the faults in movies.

Sorry, but as the old saying goes, “If it walks, talks, and quacks like a movie nit-picker, it’s a movie nit-picker.”

Finding fault with obvious flaws isn't nit-picking.

If I saw a movie that was otherwise well-made but attacked it because it used a Coke can from 1986 even though it took place in 1985, that's nit-picking.

Taking issue with massive logic flaws is what people should do instead, of making excuses for bad filmmaking...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just my $0.02. Horror movies are inherently a lizard brain journey. You have to give your frontal lobe a break, or you won't enjoy 99% of them. Some manage to be intelligent, but that's rare. It's kind of general understanding that horror movies tend to be stupid, if you apply much logic to them. I mean, an insurance company actually has a commercial that lampoons how stupid horror movies are. I think most people are aware of it.

Yeah, a lot of stuff doesn't make sense in A Quiet Place. There are things in it simply to further a scare. Early on there's a scene with an oil lamp. You think "They have oil lamps because they don't have electricity." But then, there's abundant electricity, so why use oil lamps? You have the choice of either enjoying the movie, which really is pretty effective, despite..., or you can be resolved to waste your time watching it.

There's no point in criticizing the roller coaster for not being intellectually stimulating.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just my $0.02. Horror movies are inherently a lizard brain journey. You have to give your frontal lobe a break, or you won't enjoy 99% of them. Some manage to be intelligent, but that's rare. It's kind of general understanding that horror movies tend to be stupid, if you apply much logic to them. I mean, an insurance company actually has a commercial that lampoons how stupid horror movies are. I think most people are aware of it.

Yeah, a lot of stuff doesn't make sense in A Quiet Place. There are things in it simply to further a scare. Early on there's a scene with an oil lamp. You think "They have oil lamps because they don't have electricity." But then, there's abundant electricity, so why use oil lamps? You have the choice of either enjoying the movie, which really is pretty effective, despite..., or you can be resolved to waste your time watching it.

There's no point in criticizing the roller coaster for not being intellectually stimulating.

I don't agree that horror movies - or efforts in any genre - are exempt from criticism of flaws.

It depends on the nature of the flaws - and the artistic aspirations of the project. "Quiet Place" begs to be taken seriously - it's not a goofy romp like, say, "Happy Death Day".

It's like the difference between "Apollo 13" and "Armageddon". I'll swallow stupidity in "Armageddon" because it's inherently silly at its core, but "A13" comes with a different standard...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks