A Quiet Place (2018)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: A Quiet Place (2018)

Tagline: If they hear you, they hunt you.

Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: John Krasinski

Cast: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe, Cade Woodward, Leon Russom, Doris McCarthy, Evangelina Cavoli, Ezekiel Cavoli, Rhoda Pell

Release: 2018-04-05

Runtime: 95

Plot: A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound.

This one looks really good. Directed by The Office’s John Krasinski (Emily Blunts husband too)!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_2018

Synopsis

In the modern horror thriller A QUIET PLACE, a family of four must navigate their lives in silence after mysterious creatures that hunt by sound threaten their survival. If they hear you, they hunt you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The trailer is attached to Downsizing (which I’ll be reviewing soon) and it is a terrific trailer. I am very much looking forward to this film!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Still sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 35 reviews. Definitely think I'm going to check this out this weekend. The synopsis seems intriguing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Definitely seeing this. The only Q is Movie Pass or is there an IMAX/DV version?

This will not be playing in IMAX or Dolby Vision, as those theaters are currently showing Ready Player One.

I'll see this with my MP, but the trailer was intriguing enough that I might've actually seen it even if I didn't have MP.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They did a private screening on this last month I think in KC (Gofobo) I didn't go (I honor NDAs when I do) but the person I know who went said it was the best suspense movie he's seen in years. So that's pretty good word of mouth for me.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Well worth it - brilliant use of sound - really tense and loved the way it telegraphed certain events that made the tension even greater. But the film only works if you care about the characters and that was what made it work so well

Yep the sound design in this is outstanding. Makes me want to get started upgrading to Atmos before the disc is released.

The actress that plays the deaf daughter (who I understand is deaf in real life) is destined for big things. Just fantastic performances all around. Who knew Jim from The Office had it in him? ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yep the sound design in this is outstanding. Makes me want to get started upgrading to Atmos before the disc is released.
I saw people on Twitter saying how dumb it is that a movie that with "no talking" is in Atmos. If anything, the lack of dialogue means that the sound that you do hear is even more important because it's got to carry the whole movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So I guess no one else is bothered by how many genuinely stupid moments occur in this movie?

"Hey, we need medicine. Let's not send one adult - let's bring all the kids, because nothing could go wrong!"

"Hey, let's go to a store with a lot of distractions and leave the youngest/least disciplined completely on his own - nothing could go wrong!'

"Okay, the youngest found a toy on the top shelf and almost knocked it on the floor, where it'd make noise. But we're fine now!"

"Okay, the toy makes a lot of noise. I'll take it away from him but make sure that I leave it easily accessible and I don't monitor him - no problems there!"

"We're headed home - it's a good idea to let the youngest kid lag well behind the rest. Close supervision of the neediest kid is for suckers!"

And on. And on.. And on.

"Hey, let's have a baby - no way an infant would make any noise, right?"

"Oops - I guess babies do make noise. I can just shush him, right?"

"Oh, maybe not - well, I'll simply store the baby in a wooden box so he can cry and no one can hear - problem solved!"

What were they gonna do when they baby grew? Keep building boxes? :rolling-smiley:

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks