A quick question about the Sony DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Cerce, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

I am ready to upgrade from my Sony DA30ES to take advantage of my multichannel SACD player. I am wondering if ANY adjustments can be made to the analog signal that is input into the receiver? Can the bass and treble be adjusted? Is there any bass management applied? Or is the signal passed thru without any adjustment capabilities? [​IMG] Thanks.

2. BrunoB

BrunoB Auditioning

I have the 4ES for a few days only.

It does not seem to have bass management for the multi channel direct input.

I have a test CD that generates a very low frequency sound (5Hz and above)). When I set my main front speaker to large, I can see the woofer of my main speaker moving with both the digital input and the multichannel input. When I set my main front speakers to small, then only with the multichannel direct input makes my woofer vibrating.

There is a button "Analog direct". When pressed, only the volume and the front speaker balance can be adjusted, according to the manual, p.34.

From p. 28:
    if you don't have a sub, the direct multichannel sub signal will be downmixed with the L/F front channels.

The only receiver that I know that can adjust the bass/treble level of SACD signal is the Outlaw 1050, however you can't bypass them (I did not like the 1050 because of strong crosstalk between diffrerent sources).

I had also a 3ES for a few days. I haven't had the chance to make an A/B comparison, but the 3ES had stronger bass (I don't have a subwoofer). Note that my 4ES might still need some breakin.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ideally, with SACD, you should not need or want tone adjustments...

4. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

I understand that you should not have to make any bass or treble adjustmentto an SACD source, but sometimes one would like to address either a weakness in the recording or even a weakness in the speakers or electronics that you are using. Up until now, it is not unusual to make these adjustments on all differnet kinds of source material (ie: CDs and DVDs). I wish the manufacturers would give you the option of running analog direct to the speakers or allowing for bass/treble adjustments. The Sonys come with a very elaborate equalizer that is not utilized on SACD sources.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Many manufacturers, including Sony, DO have "analog direct" which will essentially send the unaltered analog through the receiver's amp stage to the speakers. My old 815 had this over 6 years ago (no bass management though). This does not address your tone control question though.