A quick question about Seperates.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddJoseph, Nov 29, 2001.

1. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

I went to a high-end audio/video store today to look at seperates and educate myself in the process. I listened to several seperates from Rotel, B/K, etc and I was amazed at the difference in sound quality.

I was talking to the Sales Rep about my plans to add a good amp to my Denon AVR 3300 and go seperates that way. He told me that I would a big difference in adding a good amp, but I would hear a tremedous difference when I would switch from my Denon to a seperate preamp... Is this true or is this guy pulling my leg????

2. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

They sure sound better then A/V receivers, but is it worth for additional $1500~$2000(depends on the make and model)?

IMHO it is not aleast for me right now.

It the same argument like internal amp vs external amp. The gap is defenitly closing but seprates will alway have an edge since they are desinged to do just that specific task and they have the upgrade capablities in preamps.

I think for right now the separate amp will give you less distoration and a good sound stage and as far as preamp, they have better upgradablity and more bass management and more whistles.

that's my 2 cents....