What's new

A Quick Query About the Joker UHD Blu-ray... (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
First, let me preface this by saying thank you to everyone who participated in my Poltergeist thread and for clarifying what I wanted to know about that Blu-ray release; it was much appreciated and confirmed for me that I can just get the barebones release because all the discs are the same in terms of transfer.

I have another one for all of you now, so perhaps someone can confirm something for me...

I just received the Joker Ultra HD Blu-ray yesterday in the mail, and upon watching it last night, I took notice right away that when the disc was initially loading, it made my Panasonic DP-UB9000 exhibit some rather loud operational noises that I never heard before on ANY disc in this player. It eventually stopped once the feature began, but prior to that, when the disc was initially loading and then going to the setup menu, the player exhibited distinct operational sounds that were akin to "growls" and "whirs," if that makes any sense.

Can anyone who owns this 4K Blu-ray tell me if this is normal and if you experience this in your disc player?

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
This has happened to me numerous times with numerous discs. I have the Panny
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

I only asked because it's the first UHD Blu-ray I came across that did this in this player; indeed, all the Panasonics share some variant of the Hollywood Cinematic Experience processor, so it makes sense that this occurs to your 820, as well.

Is there a specific reason this happens? Why are most discs essentially quiet when loading?

BTW, what part of the city are you in? I'm originally from Long Island...

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I have random discs that make noises in my player. Usually doesn't affect playback, and often disappears once the movie starts. Seems to happen most often, as you say, during loading and menus.
As always, thanks Malcom.

Are you experiencing this with only UHDs?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No, it's with blu-rays. I'm mostly still blu only at this point.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
No, it's with blu-rays. I'm mostly still blu only at this point.
Oh, well that's odd...I thought it was strictly a 4K Blu-ray thing, as I haven't heard noises like this with any DVD or Blu-ray I play...

What player do you own?

I am also mostly DVD and Blu-ray, too. :cool:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's a Sony player that's several years old.

I do have a Samsung 4K player, but was having issues with discs freezing or losing connection to my projector, so I put it in storage and returned to the Sony blu player.

Do you have anything on top of your player? I had a couple of knick-knack things on there and found that seemed to help create/enhance the noises. Must somehow unbalance the player with some discs.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
It's a Sony player that's several years old.

I do have a Samsung 4K player, but was having issues with discs freezing or losing connection to my projector, so I put it in storage and returned to the Sony blu player.

Do you have anything on top of your player? I had a couple of knick-knack things on there and found that seemed to help create/enhance the noises. Must somehow unbalance the player with some discs.
Yeah, the Samsungs have been notorious for poor quality.

No, nothing sits on top of my player -- and this thing is HEAVY and well-built. It's Panasonic's flagship deck, so I don't think this is the culprit. Further, as I said, this is the FIRST disc this has happened with...

That's why I'm wondering if it's just an issue with the Joker title...you wouldn't happen to have a copy to test for me, would you?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, the Samsungs have been notorious for poor quality.

No, nothing sits on top of my player -- and this thing is HEAVY and well-built. It's Panasonic's flagship deck, so I don't think this is the culprit. Further, as I said, this is the FIRST disc this has happened with...

That's why I'm wondering if it's just an issue with the Joker title...you wouldn't happen to have a copy to test for me, would you?
Sorry, no.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My BD player can be particularly noisy when playing BD 3D discs. BD drives have to spin faster because the pits are so small, and any noise may be due to what layer is being accessed and whether or not the disc is actually flat. Tolerances are so tight in optical drives these days that it's possible the noise we're hearing may be due to poor noise insulation or the edges of the disc lightly scraping against something at high speed [frightening to think about].

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
My BD player can be particularly noisy when playing BD 3D discs. BD drives have to spin faster because the pits are so small, and any noise may be due to what layer is being accessed and whether or not the disc is actually flat. Tolerances are so tight in optical drives these days that it's possible the noise we're hearing may be due to poor noise insulation or the edges of the disc lightly scraping against something at high speed [frightening to think about].
Thanks Stephen.

It's probably what is going on with the Joker disc; but there have been a few people I've already asked to check on their setups who have reported back that they're not experiencing ANY noise using the same player and same title...

What's weird is that my player doesn't make this noise with ANY other UHD disc I play.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
The 203 is considered “high-end” as players go, so better motors, better noise insulation, etc.
The Panasonic UB9000 is every bit as "high end" as the 203 -- it's considerably heavier too and retails for $1000.

This CANNOT be because of the unit's construction.

1602557931703.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But what about with THIS particular disc?

Don't have it, sorry. I should have been more specific in my first post. I was just letting you know that I've never heard the drive in my 9000 make any noises, and I've played hundreds of discs with it, both Blu-ray and 4K UHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks