What's new

A Quick Inquiry on the Superman Box Set... (1 Viewer)

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
With Superman Returns in theaters this weekend, what is the deal with this new "14 disc" set that is supposed to replace the original silver-boxed set of the original films? When is being released? Are the films being remastered in any way, and are we getting a Donner approved cut of II? Is Supergirl going to be included in the set, as rumor had it? I hope to Christ not....

Apologies if this has been covered already; I have been having a hard time nailing down details on this....

Thanks in advance friends.

Real Name
Germán Ramirez
It's being released at the time Superman Returns comes out on DVD. Supergirl isn't being included. I hope they sell these individually, i only want Superman 1 & 2...

Superman The Movie disc 1
Theatrical cut *
Commentary track by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler *
Original sound
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman The Movie disc 2
2001 director's cut *
Commentary track by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman The Movie disc 3
Taking Flight: The Development of Superman *
Making Superman: Filming the Legend *
The Magic Behind the Cape *
More Special Features TBA

Superman II disc 4
Theatrical cut *
Commentary track by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler *
Commentary track by the three villains ***
Original sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman II disc 5
The Donner cut
Commentary track by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz **
Original Sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1 **

Superman II disc 6
Special Features TBA

Superman III disc 7
Theatrical cut
Commentary track by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind
Original Sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman III disc 8
Special Features TBA

Superman IV disc 9
Theatrical cut *
Original Sound **
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman IV disc 10
Deleted scenes *
Special Features TBA

Superman Returns disc 11
Dolby Digital 5.1

Superman Returns disc 12
Special Features TBA

Max Fleischer cartoons disc 13
All 17 remastered Max Fleischer cartoons. *

Superman documentary; Look, Up in the Sky! disc 14
Bryan Singer commissioned documentary on the history of the character.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott

Thanks so much for the info, Mr. Ramirez! Wow...all of them to have Dolby 5.1tracks (of course....this is Warner we're talking about, the anti-DTS studio save for anything with the Morgan Creek badge on it) and even Superman Returns to have no DTS....how did you get the specs so early on the Returns DVD?

I will have to contemplate getting this set because Im not a diehard fan of the franchise, and I love part II more than any other, as most folks do...if sold separately, I may just get II...

Thanks again for the info!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Those specs are from my website and definitely not to be taken as gospel, things are changing all the time bu it looks like the 3 docs from STM are being ported over.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I am still on the fence about this. I love Superman. While those Max Fleischer, cartoons would be great, I have no desire to ever see Superman 3 or 4 again. I just hope they release 3 disc sets of 1 & 2 separately. I already broke down and bought "Look, Up in the Sky".

I know they have released those cartoons before... Is there a better version?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
will this box set also include a HD Hybrid, or will we have to purchase Superman Returns HD seperate?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Warners has never released the cartoons on DVD. They're in the public domain, so there are plenty of versions available, but it's highly unlikely any will be better than Warner's restoration.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I pose this question for you.

which is related to this thread.

what would you do if you had to choose between watching superman 2 the donners cut on the big screen or getting the 14 disc boxset?

Jacob

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

See it in the theater, then buy the individual DVD along with the DVD for the first movie, unless you value all 4 films (I can't imagine why, but I digress), then go for the boxed set; multiple viewings on a small screen beat one viewing on a big screen.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
If Supergirl is not going to be in this set is there any chance or Warner doing a release of the director's cut in region 1 land?

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
It's supposed to be released at the same time in a 2-Disc SE.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
As much as I don't care for 3 & 4, the bonus discs could be interesting, and besides, wanting the 10 other discs and not being excited about 4 is enough to get me to buy the box rather than pick up the 10 separately.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'm watching 3 right now on some cable station. Can't remember the last time I saw it, but it is just as moronic as I remembered it. And I can safely say I will have no desire to see it again within the next ten years.
I'm just hoping that the HD versions of the films retain ALL the extra material and are complete to the sd set. The way Warner prices their sets, the inclusion of 3 and 4 will probably amount to about a $15-20 premium over picking them up individually- If that becomes the only way to get the Fleischer toons, I'll bite though, as the clips seen in the doc blow away any video release I have seen yet, including the bosko version, by quite a ways.

Packaging on the big set, however, may be an issue- although I guess I could just whip up my own thin cases and jackets if it comes to that.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
If Supergirl is not going to be in this set is there any chance or Warner doing a release of the director's cut in region 1 land?

Supergirl has already turned up in an R1 SE -- in two different cuts in fact. The "DC" on the Anchor Bay DVD, though, is really the extended ABC network tV version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks