What's new

A quick digital coax question (1 Viewer)

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
My digital cable box has an output labeled "SPDIF" and I have an available digital coax in on my receiver. I'm wondering if this is the digital audio out of the cable box and if I need a special cable to use it. I tried a standard RCA cable and it didn't work. Also, for bonus points, can anyone tell me what SPDIF stands for (I like knowing the acronyms).

Brad Marcus

Auditioning
SPDIF = Sony Philips Digital InterFace

The cable to use is a 75-ohm coax (video cable). Do not use audio cable as you are transferring digital data, not analog audio.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Read the info in this other forum in regards to what may be output from your cable box's S/PDIF output.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=105407
I have to assume you use Shaw in Calgary. Here in OK Valley the Shaw rep I spoke with didn't even know if they were broadcasting the Digital surround (a la 4th year Soprano's episodes) or not. I have not hooked it up myself even though my receiver will auto sense.
Rat Shack has a 12 foot cable for 40CDN (p/n 42-2681), London Drugs audio departments carry them (Monster brand) in various lengths and price ranges. If it doesn't work the way you want, you will have a spare cable....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks