What's new

A questions for the tax experts (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I was gathering all the necessary paperwork to complete my taxes this weekend. One of the forms I received from my bank was a 1099-INT for an EE Savings Bond that I cashed back in April. This was a $1,000 bond that was purchased for me by my grandparents way back when. When I cashed it in, it was worth about $1,300. So my question is about the reportable interest. Should I be paying taxes on entire sale price of bond ($1,300), which is what the bank is reporting to the IRS. Or the amount that the bond increased in value, in this case about $800 ($500 purchase price, $1,300 value when cashed).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would think that you would only owe taxes on the interest earned. The initial bond purchase price would be considered a gift from a family member, and you are allowed to receive these gifts tax-free (up to a specified amount, but certainly more than the $500 purchase price of the bond).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You only pay taxes on the interest.

The amount is $10,000 per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks