a question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen B, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Stephen B

Stephen B Stunt Coordinator

ive only watched my dvd's on a 17' monitor, and im currently saving up to get myself a nice home set up. what would you sudgest would be a good all round package to start with, with room to expand?

i hope someone can shed some light on this, as with so many tv's and dvd players and amps etc around, it hard to know whats rubbish and what isnt.

and help would be really good, thank you in advance.

steve

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Stepping up from a 17" monitor, alot of TV's are going to seem quite big. If you are just starting out a HT, invest the most in your Video display. Get a good quality (HDTV if you can swing it) television that has adequate S-video and component inputs. From there, get a good, dependable DVD player. I don't know what you're feelings on HTiB's (home theater in a box) are, but I don't know from Adam on how dependable the DVD player is that they include with that. If you want to go with a surround sound package, do that and buy a DVD player seperately.

If you want to know what is the best equipment, just surf this site, ask questions on whatever you find...models, price and such...and go from there. You should have no trouble nailing down a quality HT, no matter what kind of budget you have, if you ask advice from the terrific members here.

Bruce

3. Stephen B

Stephen B Stunt Coordinator

thanks very much bruce.

im currently doing just that, having a good look and read around, its great to go to a forum site and not be flamed for being a kind of newbie. all i know so far is ill need a telly that can play ntsc as well as pal, and a multi zone player. most dvd players have rgb, s-video and digital, i take it digital is the best connections to have?

4. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Digital out is a must in a DVD player for the best quality sound as that will allow your receiver to do the decoding and minimize handling in analog. The player should have both digital coax and fiber (toslink) outs for the most versitality (coax is the cheaper way and just as good but some receiver may not have both types of inputs).

Get a TV with progressive scan input ability if possible and mate it with a progressive scan DVD player for the best possible picture.