A question to those who own the Outlaw 950.

Luis M

Second Unit
I have the Denon 3801 and I am on the list for the Outlaw 950/755 combo. I have heard great things about the 950's performance with music but when it comes to Home theater sound I hear it sounds very good and it is compared even to receivers like mine, with this in mind Would it be better for me to just buy the Outlaw 755 amplifier and use the 3801 as the preamp? I have a separate system just for music and I wonder if it's worth upgrading to the 950 just for its hometheater performance. (remember the denon 3801 has dts-es and digital ex)

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I have not yet heard the Outlaw 950 yet, but I am on the list!! Haha-- so I guess you should take this with a grain of salt.

If the Outlaw 950 sounds as good as it is supposed to sound, the Denon, while being a very good performer should be outpaced fairly signifigantly by the 950 for both Home Theater and two channel.

Having in the last two months switched from a pre/pro (Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080) to another pre/pro (Adcom GTP-760) to a good receiver (NAD T751) as a pre/pro BACK to a pre/pro (Rotel RSP-976), I can say with good assurance that the true pre/pros sounded better than the receiver as a pre/pro. Of course, I cannot make a sweeping observation- this is only from my limited experience.

Andrew B.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
Luis

Having never heard the Denon 3801, I can't say for sure how much benefit the upgrade to the 950 would provide. It is worth noting that RAF (who's been using a 950 for a couple of months now) previously used a Denon 5700 as pre-amp and was extremely impressed with the 950's sound. I'll also toss in a thumbs-up for the Cirrus Extra Surround as a worthwhile addition for getting surround back channels on 5.1-encoded material.

There aren't a lot of 950's out in people's hands right now and I suspect many of those users are waiting for the fixed units to arrive to say too much, so feedback's going to be sketchy.

J

John Morris

There aren't a lot of 950's out in people's hands right now and I suspect many of those users are waiting for the fixed units to arrive to say too much, so feedback's going to be sketchy.
Folks: I have owned a 3801 and used it as a preamp prior to getting my first 950 beta unit. I can say without reservation, that the 950 "sounds" better than the 3801. As far as other issues are concerned, I'm gonna wait till I get my third 950 which is arriving today, and have a chance to test it and listen to it before I comment on anything else regarding the 950. Hopefully, I can post my latest impressions by sometime on Monday.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa