What's new

A Question To Panny RP-82 Owners... (1 Viewer)

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I recently replaced my broken Harman/Kardon DVD 50 with a RP-82 after hearing SO many great things about it on this forum. The first thing I did was watch movies I was well aquainted with so I could see how it stacked up against my H/K video-wise. While the picture looks great for the most part, I'm seeing weird things I haven't before and was wondering if any of you are getting the same thing.

Before I continue, here is my hookup:

Prog. Out with Acoustic Research component cables into a Mitsubishi 46" 16X9 HDTV. Calibrated with AVIA.

The first thing I put in was The Phantom Menace. I was never bothered by the EE on this film as many others were. On my H/K, it was barely noticeable. Now, it's like everyone has some sort of force-field around them. Also, during the landing on Tatooine, the sky has grain that does not look film related, but like it's the player doing it. It a strange opaque grain that stays stationary as the picture moves. I get this pretty bad on Brotherhood of the Wolf and Panic Room also.

I also get some aliased edges along peoples arms and such. Everything just looks more digital and less film-like.

Lastly, I get wavy lines like on blinds, pin stripe suits, etc. Most recently I saw this with Shawshank Redemption, with the inmated striped clothes which, in the four times I watched this movie on my H/K, I don't recall ever noticing (at least not this bad).

I have messed with the player settings a ton, but I still am not satisfied with it. Like I said, for the most part, it has a good picture (very vivid), there are just too many little things I am noticing that are very distracting. I think I may have become completely spoiled by my H/K's picture quality.

Is this a normal thing with this player?

MikeM

Screenwriter
Have you fully verified that the Progressive out is ON? Before you blindly say, "Yes", please make sure that the green progressive light is on on the front of the machine) when you are firing up your DVD.

The initial setup is a bit confusing in that you have to enable Progressive output, and then you have to turn it on. It's a two step process, and could easily be overlooked. (I did at first.) Please double-check this.

Dan Baldwin

Auditioning
I happened to have just watched Shawshank last night on my week old RP82 and did not notice anything strange, although I wasnt viewing it too critically.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Have you fully verified that the Progressive out is ON? Before you blindly say, "Yes", please make sure that the green progressive light is on on the front of the machine) when you are firing up your DVD.
Well, I'm not exactly a newbie at this. The progressive out is indeed on and the green prog. light is lit. Believe me, I would notice the progressive not sending as my picture would be squeezed on my TV and "stretched mode" would be available. As I have said, I'm getting a great picture for the most part, but the player seems to have trouble with the finer details. And that weird stationary grain thing I just can't explain.

Michael Altmyer

Auditioning
I have not noticed anything similar with my RP82. Is it set for Auto 1? That is the way your progressive mode should be set.

What your describing almost sounds like Mpeg motion artifacts. (The portions of the picture that don't change much from frame to frame). I have an RP82 with a Sony 10HT projecting on a 130" screen and I haven't noticed this sort of thing. This DVD player is as close to my HTPC as I've ever seen.

Make sure your in Auto 1, and look at the difference between the Interlaced setting and Progressive setting.

Flan

Craig W

Second Unit
Mike Flanagan??? Of the Green Bay Packers???? Is that your real name? ;) BTW, love the GREEN AND GOLD.
As far as the thread goes, this could be related to using DVNR. Make sure you have all the setting at zero.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Well, I can't say I'd be totally surprised if it was just normal operation for the player. Lots of players have ringing, sub-par MPEG decoding, etc...

Mind you, I'd try to get at least another unit to try.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I bought a new "82" yesterday, the progressive mode was very dark, had to turn my 48311s brightness almost wide open then a great picture, as good as I remember seeing, also lots of strange noises from the unit when you send it commands, maybe normal but I never heard this before. I took it back, only ones left were open box so I turned it in for a Toshiba SD-4800, it appears flawless, I am amazed, Progressive and interlaced are dead on for brightness and contrast, TV settings now more normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks