A question to buyers concerning laserdisc players. (Mods - move if necessary!)

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I sold my Pioneer DVL-919 combination Laserdisc/DVD player to a buyer on another forum. Upon recieving the player he hooked it up to his TV using COMPONENT cables, popped in a laserdisc, and saw a black and white fuzzy picture. He claims it's broken. Who else doesn't know that laserdisc is a composite medium? The component outs are for DVD/VCD only. Would you feel ripped off and want your money back when the player functions as intended flawlessly?
-Brandy

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If he refuses to hook it up correctly for laserdiscs, he has no legitimate complaint. You shouldn't have to pay for his ignorance.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
As above.

So his complaint is that it wont work via component (the LD). Its not a complaint.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
To be fair in this, there was no manual sent with the player. I sold him the bare unit with remote. He assumed since it had component connectors on the back that is was all-around component capable. I myself research everything extensively before I buy, especially a $250 piece of equipment!
Any amount of research on the internet would have revealed the component/composite issue with Laserdiscs vs. DVDs/VCDs.
And I thought $250 was a steal...

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is true that LD is a composite medium, but apparently this LD player has component outputs because it also reads dvds. It's entirely possible, and I'd say probable, that the player will convert composite into component. Many receivers and processors do this. I don't see anything on the spec page that rules it out : http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/product/0,,2076_310069747_36104_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA _V3_ProductDetailComponent

Actually, it sounds like one of his cables is faulty, connected improperly, using the wrong connections or that he is actually using S-Video and the S-Video cable is faulty (I mention this because it's happened to me. All I got was a black and white picture). If you can find a manual online, that will undoubtedly tell you if the component can be used with LDs. Also - was he playing laser disc or dvd? If laser disc, have him try the dvd using the component outputs. If that works, then I'd say the component outputs can't be used when playing laser disc.

Good luck. And regardless of how nasty this guy may get (if he gets nasty), always be polite.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the 919 does not output LD via component, only composite or svideo.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
And ask how the component outputs are labeled. You never know - with how crowded the backs of equipment can get, he could be using the wrong on. On either the LD player or his receiver.

Andy_A

Second Unit
yeah, I too have a 919 and I can say with certainty it does not output component for lds. Funny, because when I first got into ld I bought a 919 thinking it would, but quickly figured out it wouldn't and why.

Anyway, ask him what type of display he's using--it probably has a 3D digital comb filter anyway, so he may be best off using the composite for ld no matter what..

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Stores often accept returns of items working properly but purchased by someone that doesn't have a clue how the product works. In this case if I was the seller, no such return policy should be expected and the buyer can either sell the player or hook it up correctly.

I knew this player couldn't output LaserDisc over component and any purchaser should have known this. The buyer is at fault here.

Chris

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
From Manual of Pioneer DVL-919 (sorry no scanner at the moment)

---
Page 17. Connecting the player
-LD video will be output in black and white from the COMPONENT OUTPUT.

---
Page 51. Troubleshooting
Picture|Symptom
11. The screen displays is in black-and white.

Possible cause
-Component Video input is selected on the TV when Playing an LD.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't stress what your obligations are and/or aren't until you have thoroughly explained it over and over, stressing that what they are experiencing is totally normal, should be expected and is explained in the manual and that they should not be upset. Remind them that it is funny because there aren't many LD/DVD units out there and that is the only reason they are experiencing this effect. Tell them all LD/CD only players have no more than S-video at the most. Simply stress to the buyer that if they want a laser disc player, they all output composite or S-video and they are best to use composite if the TV/display is newer. Simply tell the buyer that they need to check the owners manual or whatever other online info you can point them to, a PDF or whatever, and assure them that it is not broken and explain how it works. Remind the buyer that you did not say it output LD over component (correct?), and that all they have to do is try the S-video and composite outputs with LD's and chose the best one. Remind them that they bought the 919 to play LD's and DVD's and they can if they hook it up correctly. Also, remind them that if they really want an LD/DVD player, they should try it because all units are like this and there is no reason this should be seen as a drawback. Heck, I have seen composite video from a Pioneer LD player on a Sanyo Z1 projector and it looked really good considering that it is an older video format vs dvd. If the person takes this confusion the wrong way and gets upset, they will lose out on some fun if they don't just try it as it works. I had a LD player for a few years and it was lots of fun. Remind them there is probably a huge amount of LD's to be found used too. Sure you can point out the rights and wrongs, but remember, although you aren't a psychiatric care giver for an angry buyer, you want to have a good social exchange and not piss them off. That will hopefully make your sale stick without having a disappointed buyer. If worse comes to worse, you could take it back, but you are not obligated to. It's up to you and they can always sell it themselves. You did not mis-represent the product. Good luck

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Thanks for your responses. The buyer has come through with payment and made good on the deal.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Yeah,
You should still get paid. They buyer should know better with the Component not working anyhow... It is what it is.... You didnt intentionally try and scam him..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23