A question to anyone who built a Fiberglass bass absorber...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jones_Rush, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

It is known for many years that the Fiberglass substance is suspected of being carcinogenic. I read that the tiny fiberglass fibers are carried to the air, and then enter your lungs when you breath. Inside your lungs, the fibers might cause chnages in some cells DNA, which might cause them to divide uncontrollably, leading to cancerous tumours, God forbid.

I think that it could happen only if the fiberglass is not covered, or covered by something which still allows the fiberglass fibers to go through it. From the bass absorbers projects that I've seen, the fiberglass was always covered with some fabric, but the question is, can't the fibers go out through this fabric ?. There is a very large circulation of air, mainly into, but I'm sure some out from the bass absorber. Couldn't it be that the air which goes out from the bass absorber will carry the suspected carcinogenic fiber into the air, and from there to your lungs ?. Think about this, you are inside a pretty small room, most of the time without openings while you're in.

What are your thought about this issue ?.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

My thoughts are that the batts are covered with a layer of polyester batting, then an outer layer of cloth.

Additionally there's a significant difference between the amount of air circulating in a listening room and walking around in an insulated attic.

Options would be to use miraflex or if cost is no object use all polyester batting or wool.

[rant mode -on]
    Also this type of post reminds me about the people that flip out and become hysterical when they find asbestos in some floor tile . They fail to realize that the people that have the serious complications from exposure, worked in direct contact with HIGH concentrations of the product for DECADES.

Having worked in health care for a LONG LONG time, it's pretty obvious that significantly more more serious health concerns effecting the public than those caused by DIY sound absorbing panels.

But if things like this are indeed a personal worry, it's best to wear a fully self contained OSHA approved breathing pack at all times.
    [/rant mode-off]

3. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

Thomas, the reason I'm asking is because our HT is also a sleeping room (I guess you never heard about this before!).
    So, there is someone there, all night, every night.

Also, take a look at this quote:

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Given the decades and decades and decades and decades that fiberglass insulation has been used in homes; were it a significant health issue, people would be dropping like flies, but they aren't......

Miraflex is a more people 'friendly' form of fiberglass.