What's new

A question regarding popcorn... (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Ok, so I'm microwaving some popcorn a little bit ago...
Standing there watching it spin around and around must have put me in a hypnotic state as I began to ponder one of life's great mysteries.
"Hmmmm, I wonder why I have to put the bag in there with a specific side facing up. Popcorn kernals are round aren't they? It shouldn't matter!"
Would somebody please bestow their wisdom upon this poor soul? :D

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I will, but only this once. ;)
because they put the heating pad (for the lack of the actual term) on the side they tell you to face down. Plus the bag has room to expand since most of the time the bag tends to fold up right after I put it in the microwave.
I hope that helps some.

ace peterson

Second Unit
I think the reason for that is because the butter is "pasted" to one side of the bag. Therefore it can melt down onto all the kernals when they pop. Just a guess.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
That's an interesting theory, Ace. However, I don't quite buy it. Its always been my experience that the butter "paste" is placed only around the opening of the bag. That way, your arm emerges from the bag with yellow globs stuck on your arm hairs. :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Ryan's right. There's material in the "this side down" side of the bag that absorbs the microwave energy and converts it to heat. This heat heats the kernels and makes them pop. Popcorn kernels don't absorb microwave energy well so they need this "heating pad" as Ryan put it in order to pop in the microwave.

KJP

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Your popcorn bag is really an alien satellite dish that's made to point to a certain star in the Aldeberon solar system. If you would put your popcorn "face down" other than the way it is placed, the signal containing your GPS location, the weather in your area, and the secret plans of Area-51 of the US government, would not be received at the alien's dish. Therefore, the microwave popcorn cartel has full control of your microwave oven for it's own illicit usage. Really, the popcorn is just a side effect.
:D
Jay

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, you can microwave plain popcorn in a regular brown lunch bag.

I know the pad is why you have to orient the bag in the microwave, but I don't know why it's there. maybe to better stand up to the hot grease or to make the heat more uniform?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Your popcorn bag is really an alien satellite dish
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Come on guys! I think it's incredibly naive to think of these bags as simple 'heating pads'! :rolleyes:
Can't you see it's a giant conspiracy? We're through the looking glass here people...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ever notice how most people burn microwave popcorn? It's soooo dumb (not that I haven't done it). There was this guy at work who eat it like once or twice a week, and we always knew because he would burn it each time. You think people would learn...

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I am thinking that the "heating pad" might be the butter, and oil. Popcorn pops because of the water in the it. Who know, I might be way off base..after all it is almost Friday. :D

DennisHP

Second Unit
I think they are making it easier for us beacuse if you didn't place the bag the way they want it, you would have to turn your microwave upside down.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I have the "As seen on TV" popcorn maker. It pops EVERY kernal using hot air and doesn't need grease or microwave and finishes poping the corn faster. When each kernal pops, air catches it and pushes it out a tube into a bowl. This causes each kernal to pop and immediatly escape the hot air so none become burnt.
Anyways It still works fine after about 5-7 years or so. Usually I return infomercial products but not this one :)
The kernal has to reach a certain temperature that is dependent on both the size of the kernal and the amount of moisture within it. So if a kernal is left in open air and becomes stale it will not pop even in my patented super machine. This is why popcorn bags are inside individual plastic bags.
So don't let your popcorn age.
Another tip is if your popped corn becomes stale you can reuse the stale corn by pouring boiled carmel on them and oven heating them. They won't taste stale but will be crunchy carmel goodness.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
One time, at popcorn camp.......
:laugh:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks