A question regarding "Million Dollar Baby" and other December releases...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Kilduff, Dec 20, 2004.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I read that there's a lot of Oscar buzz for certain titles released this month, but:

Is it for next year's Oscars or the 2006 Oscars?

The reason why I ask is because I thought the Academy was now going from December to November of the following year instead of January to December.

I forget how the rule goes exactly...Could someone clear it up?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I actually want to see "Million Dollar Baby", which is strange considering I don't like most of this decade's titles.

EDIT: Had to fix a typo.

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here's how I remember it.

In any given year, a film must run in a theater for at least a week either in New York city or Los Angeles county to qualify for that year's Oscar. The qualifying year is still from January - December with the actual awards ceremony now held the following year in February.

~Edwin

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The main change for the Oscars started last year where the ceremony was bumped up a month to February. The eligibility period never changed.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

And that's why Imaginary Heroes -- the directorial debut of Dan Harris, co-screenwriter of X-Men 2 and the new Superman movie -- is currently playing for one week in L.A. and New York, after which it will disappear until February.

Million Dollar Baby is an interesting example. Warner originally slated it for release in early 2005. Then they saw what they had and quickly booked some December dates.

M.