A question on colorized films on DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I just purchased Artisan's release of the James Cagney film Blood on the Sun (I'm a big Cagney fan and will buy anything he's in). After popping the film into my DVD player I'm shocked & horrified to see that it's been COLORIZED!!!! The box states that it's in B&W so I have to chalk it up to Artisan's continued commitment to being the worst major DVD company in America.

Anyway, my question is, if I turn the color off on my TV set, will watching it in this way be the same as if it wasn't colorized? Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

This is good. I almost took you seriously.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Turning the color off doesn't completely remove the effects of the colorization. Usually, you're left with a black & white image that has no deep black at all, just a grey tone. And there's usually an electronic "haze" over the image from the colorization process.

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks Peter. I wasn't sure if I should return this or not. I hope I can return it since I opened it. What a shame.

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Since the product inside the box differs from that advertised, I don't imagine returning it would be a big hassle.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The Image release of this film is in proper B&W and looks pretty good considering it's a PD title.

7. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Jay,
    Colorizarion changes the greyscale. The DP is rolling over in his grave. I would just return the sucker on principle.

Rick

8. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I would definitely return the disc. I once returned a VHS of the Maltese Falcon that I rented. I demanded my rental fee back for them even carrying a colorized version of such a classic. From then on I've been much more careful to check box details.

I don't think that Artisan can do anything right. Colorization has all but disappeared, but Artisan still doesn't have any problems with releasing it.

9. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Thanks for posting this Jay. I have been looking for Blood On The Sun (and A Double Life since they were released last week) and was looking specifically for the Artisan release thinking it might be better than the Image release. This makes my decision very easy.

As for returning it, I wouldn't think twice about it...

Herb.

10. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Computer colorization is nothing but an abomination to the original source work of a film. I remember seeing a colorized version of Casablanca some years back, and that was just awful.

When the second restored version of the original Star Trek pilot "The Cage" came out on home video, then in its DVD version, some people said that the footage was colorized, but it's too precise in its detail, that it's definitely the original color footage and not computer colorized.