What's new

A question on by-passing the preamp ... (1 Viewer)

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to directly feed the analog output RCA jacks directly into an amplifier? Of course you wouldn't get base or trebble control, but I nomrally don't use them anyway. So what would be the detriment from running directly from my CD player to my amp in this case if at all possible?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
You'd also lose the ability to control volume, wouldn't you? You'd always be listening at full volume. Other than that, sonically it should be better - if your CD player can drive your amps (and it should be able to), removing a component in the chain can only improve things.

Some CD players have a volume control, but many do it digitally, i.e. they strip off bits from the digital data when you 'reduce the volume'. This is not a good thing, because you're losing information and resolution, so if that's how your CD player works (mine is that way), you probably should have a preamp. If your CD player has an analog volume control of good quality, or your amp has a volume control of good quality, that would be better than using a preamp, IMO.

Of course, this also assumes that you only have one source, the CD player.

Geno

Supporting Actor
I had gone straight from my dvd's 6 analog outputs directly into my 5 channel amp [i dont have a sub hooked up yet].
In the back of my amp are 5 potentiometers that control volume. you have to adjust them with eyeglasses screwdrivers so volume control is not fun. anyway, I got sick of that because there just was no control. I then built myself a passive preamp but I did not invest in a good 6 layered volume control. So Finally, I went to www.midiland.com and bought thier ADS 4000. Although
Saurav says that the digital way is not the best, I did not want to spend 600 on a decent receiver with pre-outs just for the volume control. I havent played with the ADS 4000 yet but I will write a little review for it.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
A passive linestage is a great idea in a situation like this. I'm using a passive too, and since my rig is 2-channel, it was much easier for me to buy the parts needed to build my linestage :) I've seen some of the Elma 6-channel volume controls, those look really expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks