A question of placement...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Thron, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

I have a minor dilemma and would appreciate some opinions from the sages on this board:

We are moving across the hall into a larger (2 bedroom to accomodate my 2 year old) apartment. The living room...where my home theater will reside...is about 18' x 10', give or take a foot. I have a 50" Toshiba Theaterview TV that, in my current and very similar living room, is placed along the longer side of the rectangle facing the couch. It's definitely too close by most design standards and for most people, but it was the only place to put it at the time and I certainly don't mind it. BUT, I've had to put my rear speakers to the sides of the couch and have missed out on the true "sweet spot" surround experience. Again, not a deal breaker because it's better to have it than not...

My dilemma is this: I'd love to start anew in the new place with the TV at the far end of the room, along the shorter wall and facing in. The problem is that the radiator is at that end, beneath the windows. Since the room is connected to the front door and foyer, the idea of placing it at the other end is out because it would be both an eyesore and dangerously exposed for my daughter. SO, the question is, is there any acceptable distance from the radiator to ensure that the TV would remain unharmed? In reality, I realize that the answer is to just put it against the long wall again, but the itch will be put to rest if I hear it from others.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I'm not an expert by any means, but the idea of putting electronics anywhere near the humidity of steam heat gives me the willies. [​IMG]

3. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

First, I can relate to your problem (obsession?)

you are going to have to move...

If that is a non starter, I would think that you would have to leave a reasonably large distance to
    1, provide heat to the room
    2, protect the TV from the heat and moisture.

Sombody way smarter than me will have to tell you how far, but my guess is that when you get the answer your wife will have already told you to move the TV against the long wall because the TV is taking up the whole room.

I lived in 4 apartments with my mish mosh of speakers, and inch set always trying to get the accoustics right. we moved into our house 8 years ago have completely rebuilt the place and just last month began construction of the viewing room.... I feel your pain

J

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Realistically one preferably two feet should do it, heat rises, so you should be good..... however one large factor is the placement of your ehat sensor. if the ehat sensor is on the other end of the room then the radiator will continue to chug out ehat till that sensor at the other end of the room reaches the desired temperature, but if the sensor is close to the radiator you can accurately control the temperature by your tv.

baring that i would suggest you pick up a thermostat and try putting that on the back of your tv, keep checkign it till you find a distance where your equipemnt is within temperature tolerances, most of that infor should be in your manual.

hope this helps

5. Phil Thron

Phil Thron Second Unit

Thanks to everyone who posted. Looks like I'm going to be putting it along the long wall anyway, but at least now I feel better about it... [​IMG]
    Now it's a question of possibly getting new, smaller speakers (my wife even suggested it!) so I'll post in the correct forum...