A question for those who've played the Splinter Cell deom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Iseman, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

What do you guys think? I thought MGS2 was pretty good, but from what I've seen so far in the demo it looks like Splinter Cell will be a much, much better game.

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I heard the demo will be available in the next issue of OXM. If so I can't wait...

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Played the demo extensively today. Captured my attention much more than MGS2 ever did. I don't think they're /really/ the same style of game to be honest, not from the demo. MGS is a little more "arcadey" if that makes sense.

Very nice technically BTW.

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I hope I get my OXM soon. I'm itching to try this and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

7. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

The demo for Panzer Dragoon was very good. I was a bit skeptical about the "on rails" things, but it actually seems to work pretty well.

8. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

This must be a dumb question, since no one else has asked it, but how did you guys get your hands on the Splinter Cell demo when the Xbox magazine hasn't come out yet?

9. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

They have subscriptions. I'm still trying to find it on the newsstands.

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Supposedly people have gotten the demo at Toys R Us, but I also went there and asked if they had it, and they stared at me like I was some sort of idiot.

11. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

Do other people here with subscriptions usually get their mags late? I usually get mine on about the 10th of each month, but this month's issue came early for some reason.

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

13. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

I haven't received mine yet for this month. I was hoping for those first 2-3 days when everyone else was getting them but I haven't got mine yet.

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I ahven't gotten mine yet either. I've gotten them anywhere from the 8th to the 20th with no real pattern. According to the OXM Forum, OXM is saying it's a USPS problem.

15. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Still waiting for mine, too. [​IMG]
    Seems odd to be expecting a December mag in October, but dammit, if everyone else has theirs already, where's mine??? Wah!!! [​IMG]

16. Rives Elmore

Rives Elmore Stunt Coordinator

In Atlanta...Toys R Us on Cobb Pkwy is giving them out. Its a special Toys R Us deal...

I went in and asked for the demo, they handed it to me no problem, and had about 50 sitting on the counter. The demo case is also good for 5 bucks off the full game purchase from TRU.

Good luck finding them YMMV

Oh Yeah... The demo is short, but AMAZING. The lighting is the best I have seen in the game, and its usable, not just some technical showcase like some other games. It takes a bit to get used to the controls, but its worthwhile, There are so many things you can do as Sam Fisher its amazing. And its typical Tom Clancy realism, you screw up....you will end up dead. Same for taking out guards, one headshot...bye bye. Try to find it if you can, I believe OXM hits newstands Nov 5th, some may have it before then.

17. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Romier..... how long would you say the level is compared to panzer 1 or 2? Is there any branching in the level they have? a boss? details man! more details! ..... pretty please. [​IMG]

18. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

19. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

thanks dan. Which level is on the demo? Is it one from the pics they've been showing? and what is the music like? thanks again

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

The demo level is called Episode 1 "City in the Storm". The first part is really cool; there are different levels vertically here including some areas where you can see people running on the ground. The second part has you going through a narrow passage with these large things in your way...what do you call those wheels that are powered by waterflow...LOL...the name escapes me. Finally, the last part is the boss which I find kinda dull as I mentioned in my above post.

The music I thought was a little bit understated...maybe it's also partly that the volume on the music is a bit low in the demo. I think it's similar in a way to the music in Gunvalkyrie if that means anything to you.

-Dan B.