A question for those of you with the Outlaw 950 already

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Ballew, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

I am sure I could skim through all the posts on the 950 to answer my question, but there are so many it would takes much more time than I am willing to commit. So- here is my question, and forgive me if it has been answered already repeatedly--

I am interested in the noise level of this unit. How quiet is it, with both digital and analog sources? Are there any perceptible (as in, from more than a foot away from your speakers) hums, hisses or shrill high frequency noises at any volume level? (I am not talking about electrical hums, ground loop, etc.- It has been my recent experience that pre-pros I have owned in this price range typically have some kind of hiss or hum that I do not want.) Also, does it "pop" and "crackle" when you change inputs, or skip chapters or use other functions of a DVD player?

Thank you- looking for the holy grail of home theater- hoping this Outlaw is it. If the noise floor is low, then I am jumping all over it when its available.

Thanks

Andrew Ballew

2. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

The noise floor of the 950 is very low. According to Outlaw's spec on its website, the S/N ratio for both analog and digital is 102 dB. As far as I can tell, it does not hum, crack or pop at any sound level and besides the cut out hicup, which has been addressed, the 950 is a very good preamp.

I wouldn't call the 950 the holy grail of preamps but it's pretty darn close. For me, coming from having only receivers in the past, this is a huge step up and I bet the 950 pre/pro with 770 amp combo would give any flag ship receiver a serious run for its money. Just wait a while longer for more early adapters to get their 950 and I am sure you'll see more praises for the 950.