What's new

A question for those of you who watch the major networks... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I don't watch the major networks that much anymore. I watch ABC for the Academy Awards and CBS for the annual American Film Institute special, but other than that, I mainly just watch cable.

I'm not that familiar with the stars or shows on the major networks now...Instead, I'm learning more about the network line-ups of (you guessed it) the 80s.

Now here's the question for those of you who watch the major networks:

Based on what all you know about the shows and stars on the big 3 networks (ABC, CBS and NBC), could you imagine their stars participating in promos like the following:

ABC-"You'll Love It"! | Commercial (ABC's 1985-1986 season promo)

Share The Spirit Of CBS | Commercial (CBS' 1986-1987 promo)

NBC's 1989 Campaign-"Come Home To The Best" | Commercial (NBC's 1989-1990 campaign)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Myself? I don't think they would do it, but those of you watch the major networks may have a better grip on it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I only watched the first one (the ABC one), so based on that, other than being a lot longer, I don't think that was really any different than those awkward and horrible promos the networks do today where they show a teaser of a show, and then have the actors standing there attempting to do some goofy facial expression or stance while the announcer promotes the network or show.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I know that back when the WB was still a network that they did some promos like the actors were together in a club. I also seem to think that the CW did it more recently, but that could be a manufactured memory.

I really loved it when ABC did theirs to the song, "Still The One".

I'm betting the reason you don't see it nowadays is who owns the shows - the networks (not likely) or other studios (more likely).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's more likely to be the networks (or their sister companies) owning the shows nowadays.

You do still see a fair amount of this sort of promotion on CW, where the network itself is more of a brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks