A Question For Onkyo SR600 Owners...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Adam, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Scott Adam

Scott Adam Stunt Coordinator

Any of you know what this NEO:6 mode is used for in the surround/DSP settings? What does this do? It simulates 6.1 sound? If so, should I be running DTS ES 6-channel DVD soundtracks in this mode because I only have a 5.1 setup? Or is NEO:6 not designed for movie playback?

"Mr. Vaughn, what we are dealing with here is a perfect specimen....an...eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution....all this machine does is eat and swim and make baby sharks...and thats it...."
    -Richard Dreyfuss, "Jaws"

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Here is a good definition of NEO:6 that I got from another Web site (http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk).

"A newer development from DTS, which is a competing sound system to Dolby Pro-Logic II. DTS Neo:6 takes lower quality recordings in matrixed stereo (such as analogue TV broadcasts or VHS video recordings) and generates five or six full-bandwidth channels of sound for 5.1 and 6.1 systems respectively. Where some steering information exists in other matrix formats it is used as a basis, but the main localisation comes from advanced sub-band signal processing"

3. Scott Adam

Scott Adam Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

Very interesting information, thank you very much....yet, I dont understand how if the designation is NEO "6" why these people say it will generate 5.1 OR 6.1 respectively; shouldnt this just be an artificial processing for SIX channel systems as PRO LOGIC II is for FIVE CHANNEL SYSTEMS? If we have Pro Logic II in these receivers for taking stereo encoded VHS tapes and the like and turning them into 5.1 sound as best as possible, why do we need NEO:6 as ANOTHER option for doing that? Wouldnt NEO:6 just apply to systems with SIX CHANNEL operation, not five?

I guess, then, I shouldnt be forcing NEO:6 on when I watch Dolby Digital or DTS DVDs...NEO:6 is more a processing choice when going through all the DSP modes on the receiver when listening to stereo music, VHS films, etc...?

"Anyone touches me and the whole camp goes......"
    -Kurt Russell, "John Carpenter's The Thing"

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Scott, not the perfect answer but I usually tell people "Neo:6" is just another companies format to compete against "Prologic 2" (Dolby) Just like "DTS" competes against "Dolby Digital" or think of a VCR that could record & play "Beta" or "VHS" [​IMG] You might use Beta for the better picture quality but VHS for the longer recording time. I would try them both out & decide for yourself which one you like best or there may be times when you switch back & forth between them depending on what type of material you are listening to.

5. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Scott. neo6 and pro-logic2 only works with 2 channel sources. The sr600 can only playback the DTS 5.1 sound track in their native 5.1, sumulated DTS-ES or 2 channel stereo. This is also true for DD 5.1. No other processing of the signal is allowed. This include the DSP modes. It would require too much processing power. There's no need for neo6 with DTS tracks.

I'm asumming you haven't read the manual yet. The manual explains quite a bit.