1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A question for Harmony Elite users.

Discussion in 'Home Automation, Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by greggor, May 21, 2019.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    First off I love this remote. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to add some functions to the activity that's been selected. What I mean is lets say I'm watching a movie. The remote swithes everything and then the controls on the remote work for the DVD player and I still have volume control for my AVR. If I want to lets say change a sound field or adjust a channel level I have to go to devices, select my AVR and make the changes there then I can go back to the activity I was on. What I want to do is add some of AVR's function to the touch screen so I can quick adjustment with out having to select my AVR. Can this be done? I can't seem to figure it out.

2. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Never mind I finally figured it out.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    One thing I like about the Elite vs the 950, which is an identical unit, without the hub, is that it allows you to customize what happens when you end an activity. Such as, "Play a Movie" can turn on the TV, set the correct hdmi input, turn on the receiver/preamp and the disc player. When you go to a different activity, like "Watch TV", the default process includes turning off the disc player, for example. On the lower models, you can't eliminate that step. With the Elite, you can.

4. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I want to say that mine already did this on it's own when I created the different activities and that surprised me. For example if I switch between two activities which require my projector to remain on it already seems to recognize that my projector is on and only switches the two video source components and places my AVR on the correct input. It knows to turn off the video source I'm no longer using.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I could see where that would be useful. My lower model Harmony 650 doesn't do that, but then again it only costs about $40.

Glad you figured out your issue, Greg. It's pretty simple to do on the Harmony 650. In fact, I have my remote setup so each activity has the same "look and feel". For example, the upper left soft key is the open/close drawer command for each of my three disc players, the right two buttons are the "info" commands for my Vizio display and Denon AVR, etc.. The 650 has four soft keys, but allows for multiple pages. So, Page 2 for each activity is four buttons for changing the sound mode on my AVR.

greggor likes this.
  6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I did the same thing on mine. In fact this thing is so user friendly even my wife and kids understand how to use it and that's saying a lot. I added the commands to the touch screen for each activity so they're familiar and easy to get too. You can even edit the name of each command which is very useful since some pre-named commands won't make sense to casual users My previous remote was a URC MX series and this is significantly more user friendly.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  7. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    Harmony remotes do not know if anything is on or off, it only knows the last command it sent to each device and then assumes it is still in that state. Remotes like Control4 and Savant use two way communication and do know when you manually turn something on or off.
    Harmony normally use a devices generic power command instead of discrete on or off commands. You can go in and change this.

The advantage to using specific on and off discrete commands is that if you manually turn on a device, say a blurry player, and then you press Watch Movie on the Harmony. Normally the Harmony will send a power command which will now cycle off the bluray. With discrete commands, the Harmony will only send the On command and since the bluray is already on, nothing will happen, the bluray will remain on.

Harmonys are great remotes and can do way more than most people think.

Brian

8. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks for the explanation Brian. That makes perfect sense.

I was at BB a few months ago taking a look at the Magnolia gear. The rep was kind enough to spend about an hour letting me audition some nice equipment I had no intention of purchasing. We started talking home theater control and with out me mentioning that I use a harmony he proceeded to bash the Harmony remotes. I know the pro's prefer the URC remotes because it guarantee's them future service calls when something isn't working correctly or when a component is added or changed. But, I was surprised with the lack of respect the harmony remotes get and if I were there to purchase something his attitude would have cost hi a sale.

I use to own a URC and for years it did everything I needed it too. I was lucky enough to have the programming software and know how to use it but I would still take my Harmony over my URC.

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I have a Harmony 950 and an Elite, and I can definitely attest that when it has discrete on and off commands in its database, it uses them, rather than the toggle. So, my experience with these current remotes and my current equipment is the opposite of what Brian stated. Keep in mind that not all equipment has discrete on and off commands, so that doesn't apply to everything.