What's new

A Question for Grover Crisp (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Mr Crisp Will we ever see Blu Rays of CROMWELL, SONG WITHOUT END, THE KEY? On every streaming platform all of these along with MY SISTER EILEEN are shown in the wrong aspect ratio. With that ever be corrected?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mr Crisp Will we ever see Blu Rays of CROMWELL, SONG WITHOUT END, THE KEY? On every streaming platform all of these along with MY SISTER EILEEN are shown in the wrong aspect ratio. With that ever be corrected?

There's a German blu ray of Cromwell. I don't have it so I don't know about the quality.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, Lord Jim & Barabbas. Two large format films, so don't hold your breath...but you never know :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yeah, Lord Jim & Barabbas. Two large format films, so don't hold your breath...but you never know :)
I'd love both of those films on Blu-ray disc but they're not the most puzzling gaps in the Sony (i.e. Columbia) catalog. The Violent Men, a very good Western with a great cast, Strangers When We Meet, a glossy but interesting tale of extra-marital temptation, starring Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak with Barbara Rush and Walter Matthau providing support, and several Rita Hayworth films are all awaiting their debut on Blu-ray disc.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Mackenna's Gold (1969), not a great western, & many people would say not even a very good one, but I have a soft spot for it. I've liked it since I first saw it at the cinema all those years ago. The DVD is watchable, but that's about it really. I'd love a nice looking Blu-ray.

The Devil at 4 O'Clock (1961) I saw this at the cinema as well & it really works for me. Staring Spencer Tracy & Frank Sinatra & I think the volcano & earthquake effects are really good. There's been a very nice HD transfer showing up on TV for a few years now, sharp & very colourful, & I thought Twilight Time was bound to release it, but it never happend.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I'd love both of those films on Blu-ray disc but they're not the most puzzling gaps in the Sony (i.e. Columbia) catalog. The Violent Men, a very good Western with a great cast, Strangers When We Meet, a glossy but interesting tale of extra-marital temptation, starring Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak with Barbara Rush and Walter Matthau providing support, and several Rita Hayworth films are all awaiting their debut on Blu-ray disc.

The rights to STRANGERS expired while I was at Sony. Though it's possible they re-acquired them, I wouldn't hold my breath, considering the gargantuan amount of titles they DO own but have never released on any format.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How much sway does the head of a restoration/preservation department have over what gets released?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The rights to STRANGERS expired while I was at Sony. Though it's possible they re-acquired them, I wouldn't hold my breath, considering the gargantuan amount of titles they DO own but have never released on any format.

I stand to be corrected but I thought Strangers When We Meet was a Columbia (now Sony) production. If they let the "rights" expire, do you mean it is now a public domain title?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I stand to be corrected but I thought Strangers When We Meet was a Columbia (now Sony) production. If they let the "rights" expire, do you mean it is now a public domain title?

No, they reverted to the estate of Evan Hunter, the author of the novel on which it's based.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
No, they reverted to the estate of Evan Hunter, the author of the novel on which it's based.

Ah, thanks for the information. It makes it unlikely to see a blu ray release then. Estates can often be difficult in negotiating rights. I'm thinking of the Gershwin estate and Porgy And Bess, the William Inge estate and Dark At The Top Of The Stairs, the Edna Ferber estate and Ice Palace (the Warner Archives MOD program briefly released it but it was pulled) etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks