A question for Fox

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TedD, Mar 15, 2004.

1. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Jan 9, 2001
    I just finished watching 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' and was enjoying myself..... until, just before the jet fly-by, the picture suddenly shrank, and my full 5' x 11' wide 2.20:1 image was replaced by ugly black borders on all side of the image. Not just a couple of inches of black border, but a full foot or more on either side of the image and 6" or so at both the top and bottom of the image.

My question is: How can Fox be so commited to quality transfers, and then take the viewer completely out of the theater experience by modifying the size of the image for part of the film?

It looks like it was done digitally, as well, because all the letters in the titles have severe mosquito noise surrounding them and the image quality is degraded as well.
    It is even more disturbing, because I remember people staying in the theater just to watch the end titles when this title originally ran in 70mm.

This is not the first title Fox has done this to, and I personally think that it really destroys the HT experience.

I do appreciate Fox's efforts at releasing catalog titles, but I would appreciate it even more if we saw what was originally presented in the theater, rather than having selective parts of the film modified in the process of creating the DVD.

Just my $.02.

2. Dick

Dick Producer

May 22, 1999
    Your post is a bit unclear - was this re-formatting done only for the title sequence? If so, perhaps it was windowboxed in order to allow for overscan on direct-view monitors?
  3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Dec 30, 2000
    The reduced picture begins when the film switches to the modern day just before the end titles. Was this how it appeared theatrically? After all, the beginning of the film showing the history of flight is also in a reduced size format.
  4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart

I think there's a little bit of twisting the facts there.

Plenty of transfers with windowboxed segments are excellent in terms of quality.

The truth is, though... most people won't have setups that prevent overscan. I greatly admire the slight windowboxing applied to stuff like the James Bond title sequences on MGM's DVD's. Which is worse... having bordering on the edges for a few moments or having credits like "irected b lfred Hitchcoc" ?

If you want the theater experience, get a 35mm projector. TV's are inferior and transfers have to be adjusted for this problem.

Also, the black borders are usually perfectly straight... on all of the DVD's I've seen windowboxing, it's clean, black border.