What's new

A Question for DishNetwork AT150 subscribers (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I am a subscriber to the America's Top 150 package on Dish Network. The AT150 package includes west coast feeds of The Movie Channel (TMC) and The Movie Channel Extra (TMCX). According to the ShowtimeOnline website, these channels should be DD5.1 for selected movies. However, I recorded (on my DishNetwork PVR501) a movie from TMCX the other evening, and when I began to play it back, the blue light on my receiver did not light up.
Does DishNetwork actually broadcast these channels in DolbyDigital? I was hoping to have found an unexpected bonus of my PVR501 purchase, but it appears that these channels may be broadcast by DishNetwork only in stereo, not in DD5.1. The movie I recorded was "The General's Daughter", which supposedly was in DD5.1.
A second question, assuming that DishNetwork does in fact transmit DD5.1 for these channels, is about my connnection method. I have the cable from the Dish fed into a surge protector, then I have a cable from the surge protector into my PVR501. I don't notice any degradation of the signal, but would I lose the DD5.1 signal since the incoming cable is no longer directly connected to the PVR5.1? I wouldn't think this would make a difference, but it might.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Steve K.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You setup is just fine. Dish is the problem. They only broadcast HBO east, HBO west, HBO HD, Showtime east, Showtime west, Starz! east and PPV in DD. Actually, they just started a few weeks ago with HBO east and west.
I'm just guessing but I think it's a matter of bandwidth. More channels of audio take more data. If anyone has the real reason, please post it.
-Robert

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Bob- Thanks for the reply. I kind of suspected as much, but I was hoping that I was wrong. Looks like it's time to write DishNetwork a letter requesting DD on all Showtime channels. If Showtime transmits it in DD, Dish should also transmit it in DD. I've called DishNetwork, and they said they do just that, but apparently the lady was incorrect. I think I'll send an e-mail or a letter to get a correct reply and to urge them to transmit the signal as fed by Showtime.
Thanks again for the info.
Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks