A question for any Civil War buffs?....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jul 7, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just curious if anyone knows when the last civil war veteran died? I was just wondering. Because my grandfather said he met one when he was a child in the late 20's. It is bizarre to have a link to something that seems so long ago.

2. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I don't know when the last Civil War Veteran died, but I would imagine it was sometime in the 1950s.

3. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I've heard Keith Hernandez is a Civil War buff, which apparently takes sleeping less than 18 hours a day. If you get this reference, TURN OFF THE TV.

Chris

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Back then boys as young as 10 or 12 were in the military, so the youngest might have been born in 1855, and if they lived to 100 would have died in 1955. I would guess that there were some who fought as adults who lived into the 1930s.

6. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I think thats an old Trivial Pursuit question, because for some reason I knew the year and I'm not a Civil War buff.

jeremy

7. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Albert Woolson, of Minnesota, was a Union drummer boy who died in 1956, and the Civil War's last authenticated survivor. On the Confederate side the answer is somewhat more difficult to confirm.

Tim K.

8. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I guess WWI will be the next generation to leave the Earth completely, does anybody know how many are still around?

And here's one to wrap your mind around: Were any Revolutionary War veterans around to see the Civil War?

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thanks everyone for the info.

Andrew, their can't be more than a 1000 worldwide left. The youngest would be around 100. I know about a year or 2 ago. France honored some American veterans and their were a few there to get the honor. I say within the next couple of years their will be none left. With regards to Revolutionary soldiers being around. It might be possible that a couple may have been around. If the soldiers were in their mid teens for the revolution and served. They would have been around 100 years old when the Civil War started.

10. andrew markworthy

re: World War I veterans: the youngest will be circa 98. Assuming that someone lied about their age and joined up in 1918 aged 14, they'd be born in 1904, and thus now would be 98. Given the shape of survival curves, and also bearing in mind that anyone that young might have also been a combatant in WWII (with an accordingly lowered life expectancy) chances are as Todd has said that there must only be a 1000 or so at most.

Piece of trivia - when my grandmother was a young girl,she was introduced to an old man who could remember the celebrations after the Battle of Waterloo (1815).

11. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

double post:b

12. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Wasn't former President Tyler involved in the Revolutionary War?

13. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The oldest documented soldier in the Civil War was Curtis King, who was 80 years old when he enlisted in 1862. He was born in the last year of fighting of the Revolutionary War.

Boys as young as 10 were employed as drummers and fifers in the Revolutionary war. They would probably have the best chance of living to see the Civil War in their 90's.

BTW, the VA estimates that only 2200 WWI veterans are still alive today. This is as of the 2000 census figures, down from ~5000 as of the 1990 census.

14. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's I used to do yardwork for a an older lady who lived down the street from me and her father had been a civil war veteran. My great- grandmother(who was born in 1895 and died in 2001- saw 3 centuries by the way) used to tell me stories about her father who was wounded at Antitiem(sp?) and lay on the battlefield for 2 days before being cared for by some nuns. I guess probably more of us have contacts with major historical events in the past than we realize. My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked and I know he was in many of the major battles in the South Pacific although he never talks about them.

15. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

A small town near where I live was the only Northern town to secede from the Union during the war and was not re-admitted till the fifties when the President(Truman or Eisenhower) actually came to the town to sign the papers.The town is Townline,N.Y.