What's new

a question for all you nice Americans (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Gotta check out Del Boca Vista, Phase II
laugh.gif

------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Theo, but Bryson thinks that the split infinitive is okay (well actually, so do I, but I wouldn't go out of my way to use it because I think it causes annoyance to a small but nonetheless significant proportion of readers). The point is that issues such as 'centres on' are about interpretation. As I hope I've demonstrated, 'centres around' is making a semantic point distinct from the meaning conveyed by 'centres on'. Likewise, using 'hopefully' as in 'Hopefully we will arrive in time' creates a meaning distinct from the original meaning of 'hopefully' as being 'full of hope' (indeed, until 'hopefully' was hijacked in this way we had no such word in English). The point it that the variant usage creates a new meaning which was previously lacking.
'Serious' stylistic errors arguably only occur when the variant use either does not add a new meaning or is confused with a pre-existing word or phrase. E.g.
'group are'
'it's possessions'
the use of 'alternate' in place of 'alternative'
And yes, I realise what I've written is full of grammatical and punctuation errors, but it's Saturday night and I want to watch a DVD (all right, I wish to experience the audio-visual product of playing a DVD).

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Is this the alternate "Bryson" thread, an alternative to the to the "Bryson" thread or the alternating "bryson" Thread?"
crazy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks