A question for all the "multi-region" collectors out there...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JackJD, May 27, 2002.

1. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

I'm off to Italy for the month of June... Any Special Editions/or titles which are unavailable in region 1/ or anamorphic or DTS in region 2 which are not available in reg.1? I have multi-region capability; I am an avid collector of all genres of movies (1497 DVDs, 807 LDs)and am interested in supplimenting my collection with any quality titles unavailable in region 1. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. -JD

Will customs give me any problems bringing these disks back to the U.S.?

2. YANG

YANG Second Unit

DTS...err...how about region2 SLEEPY HOLLOW or ENEMY AT THE GATES?
    Or look around for R4 release of DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS or DRIVEN or THIRTEEN DAYS?Which i think there are retailers in region2 bringing in...

3. KamyarB

KamyarB Agent

Check out this site http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/
    It gives you comparisons of different regions. It's very reliable! But i'm not to sure about Italy, the DVD's used here for comparison are from the UK and are the same in France and Belgium.
    Anyway good luck hunting..........;
    And i don't think customs will give you any problems...
    K

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

BTW be careful with some of those R4 DTS discs, I think a few of them are not anamorphic

As for region 2 Europe, there might indeed be differences anyway, in particular regarding censorship. Some UK Dvd's are cut whereas their counterparts on the European mainland are not.

5. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Be sure that your player is indeed multi-region before
    embarking on a spending spree overseas.Me brother's set
    is supposedly a multi-region player yet it won't play
    R4 discs at all.

Mine plays R1,R3 & R4 but yet to confirm whether R2 is
    applicable has yet to try.

6. YANG

YANG Second Unit

LEON,
    If your player plays R4 titles,your player will be able to play R2 discs as well.Cos,most of the R4 titles are originated from R2 masters.

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, when I was in Italy last month, I very nearly bought Evita, as it has a DTS track. However, while it was English with Italian subtitles, I couldn't confirm if the subtitles were removeable. Does anyone know?

8. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

You can buy THE LEOPARD in a fully restored anamorphic 2-disc special edition - only the film has English subtitles, though.

9. CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho Stunt Coordinator

If you can purchase Asterix and Obelix vs Cesar, it´s a french movie not avalaible in USA (or any North, Center and South America country). It has a great cast, and while the effects are not like US movies, the story and the cast made it an incredible purchase.

Cast(Mini):

Gérard Depardieu, Roberto Benigni, Christian Clavier, Michel Galabru, Laetitia Casta

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Make sure that your player not only is multi-region but also that it will convert PAL to NTSC! There are several models out there that won't do the conversion (the modded RP91 springs to mind) but are multi-region. If your player won't convert, or your TV isn't multistandard, a PAL disc will be so much garbage on the screen.

Italy has a very nice disc of Nonhosonno (Sleepless) that is anamorphic--and it's P&S only in the US.

Dellamorte Dellamore is another that I know is on Italian DVD.

Both of these are PAL.

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I don't know where you are going to be in Italy, but in the cities I visited last summer, including Venice, it is a DVD desert. In Europe France, specifically the Virgin Megastore in Paris is the DVD heaven.
    Also, remember that each R2 country has its own DVDs.
    I don't see why you should expect any problems with customs -- so long as your purchases are under $400, they can't say a thing to you.
    Lastly, remember that your friend the Internet is always there for on-line R2 orders [​IMG]
    Ted

12. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Italian versions (medusa italy) of

Dellamore Dellamorte and Sleepless

if you are into horror.

13. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

YANG
    Thanks for your info will keep in mind

14. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Ted, I found a few shops in Venice that sell DVDs, and nearly stocked up in Rome Airport's duty free shops. Its just the issue of not knowing what can definitely be watched in English with no subtitles (unless its not an English-language film, obviously).

15. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for the comments/suggestions... I will be in Rome for quite a while, and then Florence and Sorrento for a bit. Any other recommendations? People who are familiar with some extra special places to shop in Rome (or Florence)?

16. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Ok I don't know what kind of movies you like but I got a good one for you to pick up.

It is an Excellent Movie, but it happens to also be a Horror Movie. I feel it can be called an Excellent Movie even without the Horror label on it.

The name of the Movie is Delamorte Dellamore. It was released in the States as Cemetery Man. It stars Rupert Everrit.

It is kind of from the Zombie Genre but light years away from movies like Dawn Of The Dead and Zombie. The gore level is much lower then those movies but the quality of production, Acting, and photography is much higher. It is a twisted love story.

It was not released on DVD in the states and the current Italian SE is 5.1 anamorphic and looks great.

Max

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I have one for you: Y Tu Mama Tambien a really great Mexican movie is coming out in Italy with an anamorphic transfer and English subs. Cheap, too. For more info click here.
    If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands [​IMG]
    Ted

18. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator

JackJD:

I was in Rome about 3 years ago (and will be there again next year). A store in Rome that had a rather large DVD selection, especially for that time, was called Il Messagero Musicale (sp?). It featured CDs as well, but the street name escapes me. I do remember it was on the same street as Hard Rock Cafe and many trendy shops, so it shouldn't be too hard to find (I found it by asking the locals). Now that I have a region-free player, I'm looking extra forward to returning next year!

Good luck and enjoy!