A question for all Canadian Denon DVD-5900 owners

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rod#S, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Rod#S

Rod#S Extra

Rod
    I'm going to be purchasing the 5900 very soon, within the next 6 days and I'm curious as to what is a fair price for the unit from an authorized dealer here in Canada.

The one thing that is confusing me a bit is the msrp of the unit I am getting quoted. I was told the unit lists for 3380. Should the list price be tied to the US dollar? If it is tied to the US dollar which over the past little while has been floating between 1.295 and 1.33 more or less then the list on the unit should come it at or just below 2700 at the high side. What am I missing or is the dealer not correctly factoring in the current curency exchange?

Obviously my dealer is not charging me full list on the unit but I'm questioning whether or not I'm actually getting a deal in the end.

Thanks,

Rod

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Can't help you with a fair price but it's not uncommon to get jacked (as Canucks) on electronics prices. Denon and HK are pretty bad about this.

A couple of things --

- the US has the advantage of economies of scale
    - retail prices of electronics don't generally float with the dollar. I'm not an economist so my terminology is probably incorrect, but MSRPs don't float with exchange(unless you're buying from a US retailer).

3. WojtekZ

WojtekZ Extra

Try Bay Bloor Radio, I bought the 1804 Receiver from them and got a good deal. PM me if you want the name of the sales guy I dealt with, got me a great deal no haggling required. Not only that but he did not dump the 1803 on me when I was in the process of making my purchase, he himself suggested that I get the newer model for $25 more than the old model.

4. Wilson_Wang

Wilson_Wang Auditioning

I also know a guy at BayBloor. His name is Chris R. As for the list price, most audio store are selling the Denon 5900 for $3000 as the list price. Because the Denon 5900 is not made in the U.S., we have to pay a higher duty on it then the U.S. folks.

5. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

Wilson,

I know Chris Rose, he used to work for Sony store long time ago and I've bought many stuff from him. He sure is a nice sales rep to deal with.

Simon

6. PaulKoss

PaulKoss Agent

Typically you will never get the exact exchange rate that you see published in the paper. This is actually a theoretical value. If you go to a bank web site - for example, the Royal Bank's, and use their exchange rate calculator, you will get something closer to the truth. Similarly, credit cards will charge a different rate still. For example, Mastercard will ding you for a "transaction fee" or whatever they call it - sort of like the "commission" a money changer will charge you in a hot developing country somewhere.

Higher prices in Canada often reflect the cost of providing warranty service and taking stocking risks in a smaller market.

The price will not fluctuate every time the dollar rate changes because you are probably being charged a price that reflects the exchange rate at the time the distributor bought the stuff rather than the day you walk into the showroom.

My 1.55634 cents worth.