A question about wine

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveA, Jun 14, 2003.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I have a question about the meaning of the year that is displayed on a bottle of wine. I am trying to find a bottle of Virginia wine that was produced from a crop of grapes grown in the year 2002. Last year's drought conditions supposedly were fantastic for winemakers' grapes. If a wine is a 2002 vintage, does that mean the grapes were grown in 2002, or does it just mean the wine was bottled in 2002 (and the grapes might have been grown in 2001)?

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

My understanding has always been that the year on the bottle is the year the grapes were grown.

3. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the year on the bottle is the year the grapes were harvested. It's still a little early for most of the 2002 vintages to be released. Better wines will typically spend a year or two in casks before being bottled. Since the grapes are typically harvested in the fall, I wouldn't look for a lot of 2002 vintages until sometime in 2004.

4. andrew markworthy

I *think* that technically it's the year that the fermentation process starts. I suppose that you could store grapes grown in e.g. 1999 and then start the fermentation of the juice from the said grapes in 2002. In which case, the wine would be classified as a 2002 vintage. However, in reality, I think year picked/year fermentation starts will be synonymous.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

6. andrew markworthy

7. MarkHastings

8. Jay Heyl

9. andrew markworthy

10. MarkHastings

andrew, I believe what you are saying about these "Experts", but I understand what Jay is saying. Wether or not anyone can tell, doesn't mean the dates don't mean anything.

Kinda like Jay's example about Home Theater. I'm sure there are some "so called experts" who couldn't tell the differnce between .09% and .08% total harmonic distortion, but they still put those numbers on the equipment so there is some sort of way to compare it.

I can guarantee you that I wouldn't be able to notice much differnce in THD when comparing very similar systems, but I'd still go with the lowest amount of distortion, just because. At this point, it's probably more psychological than fact (as far as my ears go), but still, it means something.

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Cork/screw on cap... wine doesn't sit around long enough in my house for me to tell the difference. [​IMG]

Also, for some people, they collect wines are like baseball cards... so they need to be able to discern one season from another. [​IMG]

12. andrew markworthy

Mark, quite right - I was off at a tangent.

13. MarkHastings

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Andrew, I read that story (which I believe to be totally apocryphal) about the inability of some panel of "experts" to distinguish red from white wine. I've tried this blindfold test on a number of occasions in my own house, and not a single person has ever failed. And I don't use obvious reds like a full-bore Cabernet or obvious whites like the lightest Chablis, but rather everything from intense Chardonneys on the white side to fruity beaujolais on the red. And I've never been able to trick anyone.

But that part about corks vs. screwtaps... no difference.

15. Jay Heyl

16. MarkHastings

Jay, here in CT we have a ton of Trader Joe's.

Also, some people snub their noses at wine in a box, but it tastes pretty damn good to me.