What's new

A Question About Tobe Hooper's Poltergeist on Blu... (1 Viewer)

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Poltergeist has been on Warner's radar for a 4K remaster for some time, as my friend keeps telling me it has been showing up on private surveys Warner's A-List group has conducted asking users what titles they would like to see next on 4K Blu-ray. Gremlins was previously on that list and was released last year.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Poltergeist has been on Warner's radar for a 4K remaster for some time, as my friend keeps telling me it has been showing up on private surveys Warner's A-List group has conducted asking users what titles they would like to see next on 4K Blu-ray. Gremlins was previously on that list and was released last year.

I participate in those and usually can't remember the specific titles they discuss - and which ones have gotten released later. Kinda wish I'd kept a list of the titles in the polls.

We're not supposed to discuss those polls, though!

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
No, I did not formally review the Poltergeist Blu-ray. As I recall, I watched the disc with my niece, who had never seen the movie.

My tenure at HTM was fairly short. Surprised anyone remembers it. :)
I indeed do remember your reviews over at the mag; as a writer myself who has done some reviewing, I still read your old ones from time to time in old issues of Home Theater I still have.

I also recall discussing with you some intricate audio elements on the Exorcist Blu-ray you weren't aware of in another forum. :)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
This hasn't stopped WB licensing titles to Shout/Scream Factory, though. It's a high-profile title for WB though, but given the state of physical media now, I could imagine them giving it to a boutique label.
Good points, Andy; it just seems weird that the best of the trilogy and a classic in its own right didn't see the Scream Factory treatment first.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So then the digibook was the first version to appear in high def/BD? And it can be confirmed it's basically the same disc that's now appearing in stripped down barebones editions?
I believe so. The digibook came out in 2008, and I think the barebones repackage in 2010.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I believe so. The digibook came out in 2008, and I think the barebones repackage in 2010.
Thanks Malcom; I believe my wife already ordered the repackage from Best Buy's website. I also have Joker in 4K coming hopefully this week.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Let's just face the fact that an audio overhaul OPTION would be awesome!!!!

Was the Dolby TrueHD mix given to these releases that bad?

I recall the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on Warner's original flipper disc was pretty aggressive for the format and vintage of the title...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Poltergeist isn't the cash cow title it once was, WB must not be able to figure out how to merchandise this film unlike they do with Beetlejuice and The Shinning.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember a few years ago that Criterion was looking into releasing this film.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Poltergeist isn't the cash cow title it once was, WB must not be able to figure out how to merchandise this film unlike they do with Beetlejuice and The Shinning.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember a few years ago that Criterion was looking into releasing this film.
Yet Sony can keep finding ways to release, re-release and then re-release Ghostbusters....:rolleyes:

(This was in no way meant to discredit your post, Darkrock; was just pointing out how many times that Sony property has been marketed).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Yet Sony can keep finding ways to release, re-release and then re-release Ghostbusters....:rolleyes:

(This was in no way meant to discredit your post, Darkrock; was just pointing out how many times that Sony property has been marketed).

The reason behind that it is Ghostbusters is more in public's collective consciousness , whereas as Poltergeist isn't.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, they're still making Ghostbusters movies. They did a remake of Poltergeist in 2015 but it didn't catch on.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
FWIW, the "remake" of Poltergeist was a joke IMO. I actually expected more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks