What's new

A question about Timeless Media (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Had a question about Timeless and their practices. I recently got a DVD from them (Season 2 of Loretta Young) and noticed they had made some slight alterations. Nothing major, but a few things really caught my eye. First was the insert of a computer colorized act break card during what would have been a commercial break in the episode, which really is obvious given the whole show is in black and white. Second, they created an artificial act break card later in the episodes where there obviously is no break. Finally, there is usually a ghost of the show's title in the lower right corner of the screen for about a minute or show when the show starts and when they return from an act break. It doesn't RUIN the show, it's just a little distracting.

Question is: is this normal standards and practices for Timeless titles? I ask because I am planning on investing in more of their titles in the future, but I'd like to know in advance to expect more of this. Not a deal breaker, just trying to prepare myself.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I own several Timeless releases (mostly westerns but a few others as well) and I've never seen any of those issues on any of them. However, I have seen a few with highly edited shows (e.g., "Branded") and some others with barely acceptable video (e.g., "M Squad").

It really just comes down to the quality of the source they got and where it came from. They aren't going to do much to it after they receive it. In fact, in your case I wouldn't be surprised if those anomolies weren't already on the prints when they received them.

Your best bet is to just run a search first on any you are interested in because in most cases someone else has already remarked about any issues.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, that would make sense. The prints they're getting for Loretta Young are from the estate, so any edits probably come from those. Any of the "issues" I'm seeing could be the result a previous release that Timeless later got.

Incidentally, M Squad, Wagon Train and Tales of Wells Fargo are next in my sightlines in the future. You're right, I'll do some research so I know what to expect. Thanks for the advice.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Unfortunately, M Squad is pretty rough video quality wise, but I still enjoy the series due to Lee Marvin. I also have Wagon Train and Tales of Wells Fargo. The b/w WT and TWF episodes are pretty average for these types of releases, with the color season season of WT a bit better. It really all comes down to your tolerance for these types of releases knowing very little to no work will go into them.

I would also recommend a few from Infinity, such as:

- Man with a Camera (Charles Bronson)

- Barbara Stanwyck Show

The Wagon Train: Going West is an inexpensive way to find out if you like the show before sinking the money into the first b/w season or the full color season, and you won't be duplicating any episodes if you choose to get any of the bigger releases later. That's what I did.

Look for sales. From time to time a full collection like M Squad and the color season of Wagon Train will go on sale for just under $50.

I find that Timeless and Infinity can be very good at bringing out obscure titles that would otherwise go unseen. Most of these releases are before my time but that doesn't limit my ability to enjoy them.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Well, that would make sense. The prints they're getting for Loretta Young are from the estate, so any edits probably come from those. Any of the "issues" I'm seeing could be the result a previous release that Timeless later got.

Incidentally, M Squad, Wagon Train and Tales of Wells Fargo are next in my sightlines in the future. You're right, I'll do some research so I know what to expect. Thanks for the advice.

I've seen the DVD's of the 1st Best of releases of the B&W Tales of Wells Fargo and they are in pretty nice shape overall, I can't speak for the Color releases, I rented them from Netflix which I might suggest you do before you spend the money. I'll pick up Fargo when I can get it below $30

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa

I've seen the DVD's of the 1st Best of releases of the B&W Tales of Wells Fargo and they are in pretty nice shape overall, I can't speak for the Color releases, I rented them from Netflix which I might suggest you do before you spend the money. I'll pick up Fargo when I can get it below $30

Thanks for that especially given I'm going in order of release, meaning the B&W Wells Fargo and Wagon Train would be first. I must admit to being a bit gunshy about using Netflix since I've never done it, but it probably is a good idea to screen this stuff before investing in it. Then again, I'm probably going to buy it anyway. So far, only season one of Loretta Young has been a bit of a regret and that was only because of bad writing I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks