A question about the 'SLEEPAWAY CAMP' box set.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I saw this last weekend at Best Buy, but looking at the box I wasn't clear on whether or not it was just a SE of the original film, or contained all three films. I'm assuming it does though right?

If so, I am in total amazement at the price! 24.99 for all three films!? WOW, that's extraordinarily cheap folks! That price is what sorta threw me, I mean three films for only 24.99!?

As soon as I get confirmation regarding my question i'm picking it up. Thanks.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Doug Ennis

Doug Ennis Stunt Coordinator

Damin's right, it is all 3 films, with a fourth bonus disc if purchased at Best Buy.

4. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

As a warning...

The back of the box contains a huge spoiler and one should avoid reading if they are new to the series.

Todd B

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

"New to the series" includes me, I guess, as I've never even heard of it. However, I did see the box set at Best Buy, and was mildly intrigued. What kind of movies are they, and what makes them interesting? Keep in mind, I've never even heard of them, to my knowledge, so try to describe why I should be interested, without spoiling anything, in case I do decide to get into it.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Justin,
    if your into the slasher genre at all you should really not miss these films, their minor cult classics.
    They all center around a summer camp where a mad murderer is on the loose, and even though it sounds like i'm describing Friday the 13th, these films are somewhat different. They are so over the top violent that they almost play as dark comedies. But the murders are pretty graphic though just so your aware.
    I'd love to tell you how the first one ends, but I wouldn't dream of spoiling that shock for you. [​IMG]
    Watch for Bruce Springsteen's sister Pamela in the second and third film, you can't miss her.

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Damn, I almost forgot to ask! Are they presented in their OAR's? If not the deals off.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

For those that haven't seen these films but wish to buy this set, I would highly suggest renting at least one of them first.
    I remember picking up an '80s horror film called 'Howling III- The Marsupials' without doing this (It was cheap- or so I thought.). I've got to say, that was the worst piece of crap I have ever had the displeasure of watching.
    I've been reading up on the Sleepaway Camp reviews across the net and can say that those that like them are fans of the films - which means 'Watch them first!!!'
    As for my Howling III DVD, I'm gonna trade it in for Spiderman or Star Wars: Episode II at some unsuspecting dealer. That POS is not gonna tarnish my collection much longer.[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Dude, you bought a film called HOWLING III: THE MARSUPIALS sight-unseen. You did it to yourself and have received your just punishment. [​IMG]

11. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

True enough...I received my punishment in spades sitting through it.[​IMG] :b I now know the value of a rental. But to pick up 3 low-budget slasher films blind simply because of it's packaging and extras--now that's asking for trouble.

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Actually, they are all the theatrical cuts, except for part 1, which is missing just a few snippets of footage in a few scenes. Anchor Bay was unaware of the differences in time to fix them. Part 3 is missing some gore, but it was cut prior to the theatrical release. They are all presented in their original aspect ratio's.

They all have a lot of extras too. It's a steal for 4 dvd's, but remember, you have to pick it up at best buy, or bestbuy.com for the 4th disc.

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Does the box set have the three discs in separate keepcases in a slipcase, or is it some bizarre packaging?

14. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

Yes, the box set has the three discs in separate keepcases in a slipcase. Mine were white keepcases to match the medical kit. Try to pick up the one with the Red Cross Corporate Logo on the cover, because those are already out of print. Best Buy is also selling the box set with the Bonus 4th disc (which comes in an envelope) of some inconsequential rough footage from Sleepaway Camp 4, though a nice treat for the fans.

15. Ken Bentley

Ken Bentley Second Unit

i picked mine up yesterday with the red cross. i wasnt going to pick it up for sometime. but once i heard of the change i made sure i got me a copy.. the movies are very good anyways.. plus the fourth bonus disc makes it very nice. i wounder if the 4th disc is out for a short time or will bestbuy always have that 4th disc??

anyways anyone who dont have it should go get a copy good horror story. plus its a great set just for the price alone 24.99 u cant go wrong..