What's new

A Question About The Exorcist DVD (1 Viewer)

I was watching this on TNT yesterday and I've been meaning to buy it for sometime on DVD. However, I have a question. Does the driector's cut ("The Version You've Never Seen") have the same features as the regular disc? And which disc would be better to get? Thanx

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hi, Mike. This'll probably get moved into the "Software" section, but I'll take a stab at it while it's here.

I don't own any of them...yet. Like you, I've been debating which version to get. From my reading of others reviews and opinions, it seems to come down to this:

1. If overall video and sound quality is most important, get "The Version You've Never Seen."

2. If you can put up with a lesser quality audio/visual experience, but place high emphasis on extras and commentary, you should get the "25th Anniversary Edition." While some of the extras are duplicated on TVYNS, people rate the extras and Director's Commentary on the 25th edition as superior.

3. Avoid the original DVD release (non-Anniversary, non-Director's Cut edition) at all costs.

And if you have the cash, buy both newer editions so you have the best of both worlds. Personally, I'll probably end up with TVYNS as I seem to have little time to ever watch all the extras anyway, so I'd rather have the best quality A/V and the Director's Cut.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Mike, I would suggest picking up both if you can, they both have something to offer. Although you may have a problem finding the '25th Anniversary' edition, I believe it's been discontinued for some time now.
Personaly, I really like 'TVYNS', especially the new 5.1 DD mix, at times it's downright creepy! And the extra scenes they cut in raise the fear factor, for me anyway, even more, especially the 'Spider Walk' scene!
I really hope you can find the '25th' edition, it contains one of the best documentaries you'll ever find on the production of the film. It's called 'The Fear of God: The making of The Exorcist', and it's outstanding!
Good luck.:)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Exorcist: 25th Anniversary Edition
Anamorphic Widescreen
Dolby Digital
>English 5.1 Surround
>French Dolby Surround
Introduction by Director William Friedkin
The Fear of God: The Making of The Exorcist produced by The BBC
Audio Commentary by Director William Friedkin
Audio Commentary by Writer William Peter Blatty with Sound Effects Tests
Video Interviews with Director William Friedkin & Writer William Peter Blatty
Deleted Scenes
Storyboards & Sketches Gallery
Production Notes, Awards Lists, and Fast Facts
Theatrical Trailers & TV Spots
The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen
Anamorphic Widescreen
Dolby Digital
>English 5.1 EX Surround
>English Dolby Surround
>French Dolby Surround
All-New Audio Commentary With Director William Friedkin
Production Notes including "Behind The Screams," "Friedkin & Blatty: Vision & Differences," and "The Most Famous Scene Not In The Movie" and Awards Lists & Fast Facts
Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, and Radio Spots
Review of both can be found here:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...xorcist_se.htm

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
If you want the original theatrical cut of the Exorcist, you are going to have to go back to the first non-anamorphic DVD release which is out of print.

This is because according to the Internet Movie Database:

"The scene where the Demonic entity leaves Father Karres was originally done by filming Jason Miller in possession makeup, then stopping the camera and shooting him again with the makeup removed. This creates a noticible jump in Father Karress's position as he is unpossessed. The 25'th anniversary video releases of "The Exorcist" smooth over the jumpy transition with a subtle computer morph effect. This updated effect may have also been in the the prints used for the 75th Anniversary Warner Brothers film festivals."

My pre 25th anniversary Japanese LD does have the jump cut.

Since the 1st DVD version is way out of print, I'm keeping the LD to make sure I have an unaltered version.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Another reason to go for the first pressing is that the best 5.1 audio track appears on the full frame side of that disc....why not on the widescreen side? Beats me, ask the geniuses at Warner. Anyway, it's worlds above the 25th anniversary disc 5.1 track and of course completely different from the Version You've Never Seen.
Yes, I own all three. :)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Just to let you know, the TNT version was the directors cut. Plus it contained the famous Spider walk scene.
Click here: Link Removed if you want the 25th aniversery edition from buy.com for only 19.49

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Just to let you know, the TNT version was the directors cut. Plus it contained the famous Spider walk scene.
Friedkin has had final cut on every version of the Exorcist. The subsequent changes are revisionism at best, a marketing ploy at worst.
That said, I own every version. :)

Jason Dombowski

Auditioning
Any chance of a new Ultimate version with all the extras from the 25th Anniversary Edition and the picture and sound from the version you've never seen before? Anytime soon that is?

Jay

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I have both, the 25th Anniversary Special Edition and The Version You've Never Seen. Great discs. I recommend any fan of "The Exorcist" to get them both. BTW, I read somewhere that the 25th Anniversary SE had gone OOP, but I guess not? Also, if you like "The Exorcist III", the DVD has a very nice anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BTW, I read somewhere that the 25th Anniversary SE had gone OOP, but I guess not?
Stopped by the local Best Buy tonight and they actually had more copies of the 25th edition than TVYNS (about 8 vs. 4). Circuit City across the street had only TVYNS. So I guess if you look around, you should still be able to find both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks