A Question about The English Patient

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomoko Noguchi, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Does this movie have languages other than English used throughout the movie?

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

To understand and enjoy The English Patient, you must be fluent in the language of "chick flick." [​IMG]
    Just kidding. Seriously, I think there is some dialogue in German, but I haven't seen it for a while and I'm not 100% on that.

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I just finished watching this movie a few days ago. There are some scenes where what sounds like Arabic is spoken...without subtitles. There are scenes where Germans conversing amongst themselves use their native tongue....again without subtitles. Dialogue between major characters is all English. This movie moves at a languid pace similar to "Lawrence of Arabia" but I would not call it a "chick" flick. It is a romance and at first I thought it was going to be completely boring but I was quite surprised to find that it is quite a good movie. Considering the slow pace and the subject matter, it kept my attention and left a person wanting to find out the history behind the patient. This movie hearkens back to an earlier filmmaking style that is very rare in todays movies Very well done, IMO.