A question about the cost of Snappers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg O' Connel, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

This has got to be the 1,000,000th thread about Warner Bros. use of the snapper case instead of the far more popular (90% to 7% in a recent poll) Alpha/Amaray style cases. Yet in those million threads, I've yet to hear a good explanation as to why Warner inisists on bucking the industry standard for DVD packaging with the Snapper.
    Yes, I understand that Warner owns Ivy Hill, the manufacturer of the Snapper cases. The logic is that since they own the manufacturer, Warner is able to get these cases dirt cheap, and on top of that the Snapper must be cheaper to manufacture because they're mostly made out of cardboard.
    I don't think either explanation holds water. First, wouldn't economies of scale dictate that since the number of Alpha/Amarays manufactured is far more than the number of Snappers (since EVERY studio besides Warner uses them), they would be cheaper? I am able to buy a single Alpha case for 69 cents. That is an order for 1 case, after retailer markups. A wholesale order for millions of these would be far, far less.
    In addition, paper products, like the cardboard used in the Snapper cases, isn't exactly cheap these days (which is one of the reasons so many newspapers and magazines are folding or having a hard time making a profit). The heavy, sometimes laminated cardboard that is used in the Snapper can't be all that much cheaper than the plastic cases.
    It seems to me, if the Snapper is cheaper than the plastic cases, it would only be a matter of a few cents. Surely those few cents would be worth it for Warner to satisfy their customers. After all, if the Snappers were that much cheaper to make, wouldn't ALL the studios use them? I hardly believe that Warner Bros. is the only one who is concerned about the bottom line.
    Any insights into this from anyone with industry connections or anyone with more info into the economics of this would be appreciated.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Greg O' Connel on August 28, 2001 at 12:52 AM]

2. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I would expect assassins, not bribes [​IMG].
    -Tom

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

None of us will probably ever know what each type of case costs a manufacturer per unit, but you can bet there is some kind of economic advantage to Warner Bros., otherwise they wouldn't be using snappers.
    Keep in mind that with keepcase, you have the expense of the case, plus the cost of printing the cover artwork and the inside program booklet. I would imagine these two together are similar in price to Ivy Hill printing a single-piece cardboard snapper cover.
    The plastic snapper tray is almost certainly cheaper than a keepcase. Even though we're still probablt talking only a few pennies per unit, that adds up when you're selling millions of the things.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Another reason might be that they are better suited for the filling process.
    Since 1997, I had to replace 23 Amaray cases because they arrived with a broken center button. Of at least a dozen more the discs were floating in the case without the center button (too much) broken. In all those cases there were scratches on the DVDs.
    (Two Amarays were damaged beyond repair, but without a broken center button)
    In the same period NONE of the Snappers arrived with a floating DVD (or broken center button), and only 3 were damaged (probably) by the shipment process.
    As it appeared, the snappers were much more elegant and easy to replace as well (snap - snap [​IMG])!
    I like the snappers!
    Cees

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Cees, where are you getting replacement snappers from? I could use a couple.
    Thanks,

7. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Back when New Line was doing that 'Buy 5 get 1 free' promotion, I sent away for 2 DVDs (2 different addresses, of course [​IMG] ) and they BOTH arrived with shattered hubs. One, Dumb and Dumber, had scratches so bad on one side, it wasn't useable. Luckily that was the P&S side.
    Of all the keep case style cases that have been shipped to me, I've never had one arrive with hub problems.
    Although, one of the Fight Club discs was off its hub when it arrived, go figure.

8. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

9. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Of my (small) collection of 85 discs, 5 or 6 are in snappers. I have gotten two discs with broken hubs, one of which was a snapper. Therefore, from my experience, they're less protective of the discs. Where does one get replacement snappers?
    Perhaps Warner isn't looking at the big picture. The only snappers in my collection are MUST-HAVES (Wizard of Oz) or truly obscure, buy-it-before-it's-out-of-print-forever titles (Blaze Starr Goes Nudist). Those middle of the road, gosh, I'd like to have this films (Lethal Weapon 1-4) I have not bought because I assume WB will come to their senses and get rid of these lousy cases. Is saving a few cents per disc worth losing sales? I can't believe there aren't other people who just keep putting off Warner's titles.

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons